Night Five

Night Five:

The next few days, it felt like no matter how much sleep I got, it just wasn't enough for me. Nae kept complaining that I would wake her up in the night with my yelling, but I wondered why she didn't just wake me up. Any other person probably would have at least attempted to wake me up. I mostly brushed off her complaints.

My lack of sleep made it very hard to concentrate in my classes. My eyes would drop from exhaustion, and I would fall asleep very fast and easily if I didn't shake myself awake somehow. I was still expected to participate in P.E., which put me somewhat off, but I still managed. By managing, I mean that I mostly let Zero, who mostly volunteered to be my partner, handle most of it. I did my part, but to me it was the same as handling a snake when your roommate had one as a pet. You do the least amount of contact as possible.

On the third day of me not being able to sleep, I was called into Head Master Kaien's office. I was worried that something had gone wrong. That I was in trouble. I thought about the fact that my grades could be slipping, and that is what I was being called in for, but Zero had often mentioned how lienant he was with his students, very rarely showing any authority at all. Even knowing that, I was still worried as I walked into his office.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

I cleared my throat as I knocked on the door. I stepped back, fidgeting with the hem of my skirt for a moment.

"Come in, please." I sucked in my breath for a moment, letting out a shaky breath as I opened the door, and walked into the room.

"You, umm, called for me?" I cleared my throat after I spoke, bowing in greeting, before straightening out. Head Master turned to face me, leaning forward on his desk with a smile.

"Relax. You aren't in any trouble. Why don't you just pull up a seat, and relax." I nodded, taking a seat in the chair available, but it did little to relax me."This is just a customary check-in." He explained, still obviously trying to relax me. I nodded stiffly, waiting for him to continue on. When he didn't, I had to speak up.

"Alright." He nodded slightly, and cleared his throat, straightening out his back. I looked at him in confusion, but tried to keep my composure.

"How are your classes coming along? Nothing too hard?"

"No, I'm doing pretty good in everything."

"Getting along with your peers?"

"Yeah. I get along just fine." He nodded slightly, and then reached into his desk drawer. He pulled out an envelope, and handed it over to me. I looked at it with an eyebrow raised.

"It's a letter from your family. Thought you'd like to have it, and read it over. Whatever it is you want to do." I nodded, and took the rather thick envelope into my hands, holding it gingerly in my hands like one would hold something that was breakable." You might want to read that before Parent's Week in a week and a half."

"Parent's Week?"

"It's typically held before the Winter Dance which is after a school exam is held. Parent's are allowed to come for a few days, and visit their children here. No classes will be held in respect for those visiting." I nodded, and held the envelope closer to me."Your next class is Study Hall, correct?" I nodded slightly."I guess I should let you go now. Just keep up the good work." I smiled, and nodded.

"Yes. Thank you." I couldn't have left the room in a bigger hurry than at that moment.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

I took some time during the night patrol to find the place with the most light to open up the letter from my parents. I couldn't help but feel slightly apprehensive. I was under the impression that they had no plans to contact me at all during my stay here, so I was oddly surprised when the letter was given to me.

So, I opened the letter, all the while keeping viglient for anything out of line, and read the letter.

Our Dearest Daughter,

We hope that everything is going well and good for you up there at Cross Academy. We hope that you are studying your hardest, and getting good grades. I won't nag you about staying healthy, and making friends. We all know how difficult it is for you to make friends of any sort. I just hope you are happy enough there, and I hope you are keeping out for any danger. Meaning, don't let your gaurd down. You can't trust those monsters there.

In happier news, your eldest brother, Mikami, has returned home from his studies abroad, and we will be bringing him with us when we come to visit. I hope that won't distract from anything, but we know how close you two used to be. Like two peas in a pod. So, we hope this makes you happy.

In other news, Father has been talking with the President of The Hunter's Society, along with your old master. We think that perhaps when you come home for the winter holidays that it will be a good time to test your aptitude as a Hunter. We hope that you will be granted to do so, and will prove to be quiet an exceptional Hunter, much like how you showed considerable promise as a student. I know that you will do well. You have never failed us in the past, my one and only genius daughter.

To let you know, when you come home, we have some things to talk over. I feel that it is now time to let you know somethings that we have previously kept hidden from you for your own good. I just hope that you will not be angry with us for keeping such a thing from you. We only did so because you are our daughter, and we love you very much, despite how we may act sometimes.

I supposed now would be the time to say good bye, but one last thing. Keep on your toes dear. Take care of yourself. Enjoy yourself. And make sure you study hard. Also, don't let your guard down.

-Mother and Family.

I felt something settle in the pit of my stomach as I read the note a few more times. I looked into the envelope, but only found a letter from my brother, and another one from my sister. I put those away, choosing to reading them later. I looked back at the note my mother had written, the feeling still there in my stomach. I felt sick, but again, I couldn't name what was making me so unsettled. I finally put the letter away, and focused on the night patrol.