Night Twenty-Four

Night Twenty-Four:

"Are you sure she's ok? It's been over twenty-four hours."

"I'm sure. She was unconscious. It's gonna be awhile till she gets back to the world. "

"She did lose alot of blood."

"Man, I can't believe she actually took down a Level E like that."

"Geez, you make it sound like a big deal. She shoulda done it alot faster."

"Guys, please stop fighting. "

"Oh shut it."

"She's right. Just because Sakika is not awake doesn't mean that she can't hear us."

"Who got out of the building?"

"Dad said he didn't see anything, but when he went to intervene, Sakika was already outside the building collapsed, and out cold, and the monster was dead. Don't know what happened."

"Hmph."

I heard voices talking around me, but it was hard to follow any particular conversation. It all felt so jumbled together.

My head pounded.

My shoulder hurt.

No, it wasn't just my shoulder. My whole body from the top of my head to the tips of my toes hurt. It was hard to tell why, and I couldn't remember fully what had happened. I had to back track.

Last thing that I remembered was that I had woken up, and looked at those files. Mikami asked if I wanted to go out with him, Kyou, Mizuki, and Ruri. I don't know what Yakumi was up to, but I assumed that he was going as well. I was ready to leave when my father called out to me...But what next? What happened after that?

"Is she awake yet?" An unfamiliar, female voice asked.

"No. She's still out. Her fever spiked."

"Oh dear." I heard water run, and then something was put against my forehead. It felt a bit rough, and wet. Ah, a cold cloth to bring down my fever.

Wait. Why was I having a fever? Was I injured? Sick?

I tried to think again of what could have happened that could have landed me in such a state.

Ah. I remember.

My father stopped me because he had a mission for me from the Association.

I didn't want to go. I wanted to go out with my siblings, and have a nice time, but I didn't want to disappoint my father. I was the only one of his children who actually made it to become an actually Hunter, and I wanted to make him proud, so I went.

The Level E was a former business owner who then hid in his old building where he was attacked, and turned. He lured people there, and then killed, and ate them. I was so scared, but I had to calm myself so I wouldn't lose site of the important things. I didn't want to disappoint my father.

"Her shoulder is pretty bad. Is it gonna heal right?"

"No. She'll probably won't be able to use it right again. Her leg is pretty bad as well, but that'll heal fine. She'll probably just have some leg trouble."

"Oh. Will she be able to continue her work as a Hunter?"

"I don't know."

I injured my leg? My shoulder was injured? When did that happen? Ah, yes. I know.

I was scared, but I still fought. Perhaps it was because I was scared that I wasn't fully concentrated. The Level E, however, retained some of it's human intelligence. It was able to fight well.