02; mercy's golden boy

"So what happened?" Leah asks, nudging my arm as we were standing by my locker. I lifted my eyebrows at her, and sucked on the lollipop.

Then it occurred to me.

I smiled sheepishly at her, "Well, he knows you exist."

Not even a second passes by until I hear her whine.

"Man, he really doesn't like me then," she pouts, staring off in front of her while tossing her hair behind her.

A soft smile appeared on my lips. I grabbed her arms from both sides and shook her slightly, "You're too pretty to weep over Jacob."

"Yeah, yeah," she shook it off, crossing her arms and childishly stomped. She immediately forgets about the situation when her eyes landed upon my lips, "Where'd you get that lollipop from?" she pauses, "Ryan?"

I furrowed my eyebrows and took a step back, defending myself by shaking my head filled with lies.

She innocently points at the lollipop stick, "Ryan is the only kid in the world that eats lollipops."

Her confused face expression soon turned into a devious smirk, causing my cheeks to slightly warm up.

I scoffed cooly, "Come on, lollipops are not a 'Ryan' thing." I shamelessly came up with excuses as I took the lollipop out of my mouth, looking at it before plopping it back into my mouth, "I just bought a pack of them yesterday." I lied.

"Huh," she says, as I watch her chin tilt forward.

Before she concludes any further, I slammed the locker closed and immediately turned my back towards her, walking towards the end of the hall.

"Juniper!" she calls, catching up to me.

"Let's go to their baseball game," she cooed, linking her arm with mine.

Immediately, I shook my head, "I can't."

Being in just one class with those boys is already enough on my schedule. Aside from that, baseball is such a boring sport to watch. Unless I'm watching Buster Posey running around with his tight pants on, nothing is worth it.

"Oh of course you can," she winks, "give me three reason why."

"I have homework."

"We made a deal remember," she pointed at my blazer, "I'm doing your homework for the entire week."

I bit the lollipop nervously as the candy cracks, "I have to call my dad." I lied.

"No you don't."

We both blinked at each other.

I groaned in defeat as she beams in happiness.

Coming up with excuses are my worst enemies. Something about telling a lie, to tell another lie just puts so much pressure on my back.

"Fine," I mumbled, "But we're leaving thirty minutes before the game ends."

I watched her eyebrows pressing together, "Why?"

Smiling at her, I pointed towards the direction of one of the school exits, "Bear diner's happy hour."

"Smart," she points at me.

Bear diner is about a ten minute walk from school campus. Almost every student attending Kennedy High stops by the diner to hang out during lunch, after school and games. It's where Leah and I first bonded and discovered that we were literally another half of each other's.