Alone Together

Chapter 3:
Alone Together

So there I was, outside the front gates of the school, waiting for Patrick, the boy I'd only met yesterday. It seemed such a cliché, but I couldn't resist. The imagery of his face seemed still fresh in my mind, and I was still confused; I wasn't one to choose my heart over my head when it ever came to this situation, I'd denied every single rule I'd ever gone by.

"Willow?" I spun around. There was Patrick. "You ready to go?" he asked. "Yeah." I replied. Beofre I could protest, he had grabbed the handle my guitar case and slung it over his back. What a gentleman! I raised my eyebrows at him and he just shrugged and smiled at me. I shook my head and laughed under my breath. We walked down the road in complete silence, often glancing up at each other. Sometimes we'd look up at the same moment, and feel so awkward to look away straight away. After a while, I broke the silence.
"Hey, how far away are we from your house?" He reached in his jacket pocket and brought out some house keys. "Closer than you think." He smiled. He made a quick turn left, and I followed, looking at his huge house looming over my head. "Huge estate, isn't it? Don't worry, I know what you're thinking. I'm not a snob." I let out a huge sigh of relief. He turned the key in the door and it clicked open.
"I'm home alone usually on this day of the week, my dad's out." he said casually. I nodded at him. I didn't need to ask about his mother. If the parent isn't mentioned, don't mention them.
"Yeah, that's fine. Where can I put my jacket?" He pointed to a classy looking wooden coat stand. I hung it up whilst he grabbed his guitar, and we made our to the garage together.

*************************************************

As soon as I had stepped through the door of the garage, I had walked into my dream.
Since being very small, I'd known what I wanted to do in life; music. On my 5th birthday, I'd been given a plastic pink ukelele, and had told my father it wasn't good enough. It seemed cheeky, but he smiled at me, and the very next day, he came back with a real wooden one. After playing it only once, I'd fell in love with it, and I knew what standards I'd live up to when it came to music.
Patrick must of caught me staring at this mini haven because he laughed and laid his hand on my shoulder.
"It's my dad's. He used to be into music, but one day - I've been trying my hardest to keep it in use, but I have no idea how to use this equipment!" The smile on his face slowly faded to a confused grimace.
"Well, maybe I'll teach you one day!" I smiled. I'd been working with music so long, I knew it like the back of my hand. "Well, I look forward to the day. So, what music did you bring?" I felt as if a rabbit had dug a pit in my stomach. I'd brought music, but heck no; I didn't want to preform it! But somehow, I felt I could trust him, just this once.
"I write my own music. I wrote this song called Alone Together, but it's all I got on me and it's a duet."
"Are you sure you want to do this? You look a little pale." He looked genuinely concerned. I shook my head and took my fedora off. "No, I'm just not used to preforming to anyone. No one's ever been bothered. I'll be okay when I start."
"Well, I do care, don't you worry."
I took a deep breath in, and somehow all the stress was relieved as I breathed out.

"I don't know where you're going,
But do you got room for one more troubled soul?
I don't know where I'm going,
But I don't think I'm going home,
And I said I'd check in
Tomorrow if I don't wake up dead,
This is the road to ruin, and we started at the end.

Say yeah!
Let's be alone together,
We can stay young forever,
Screaming from the top of our lung, lung, lungs.
Say yeah!
Let's be alone together,
We can stay young forever,
And we'll stay young, young, young, young, young..."

Every word I sang, every note I strummed echoed around the room, and made me sing a little stronger. When I'd finished, I didn't even realise Patrick was clapping at me, because I was so high on my own strength. Patrick looked genuinely stunned. "What? You didn't think this of me?" I chuckled. "No, I didn't expect such a strong voice to come out of such a quiet girl." "What about you then, what you got?"
"I haven't got any songs prepared, unlike you. How about we get cracking on this duet?" I don't quite understand why, but it was almost as if I'd been waiting for these words to come out of his mouth a whole eternity...