Growing Up

Chapter 17:

Growing Up

*Patrick's P.O.V*

Everything dragged further into the mud after that day. We talked less and less and there was less hugs and kisses as there usually was.

We'd lost our spark completely now, and the only thing keeping us together was the hope that it'd generate soon enough. And it did. Just not at the right time.

I got home from college one night to see Willow in tears. Mascara was smudged down her face. She saw me and jumped to her feet.

"You okay?" I ask wearily.

She wipes the makeup from her cheeks and nods her head once.

"We need to talk." She says.

She takes my wrist and leads me outside. We sit on the step at the front door and look out at the view.

"Remember all of those months ago when we were sat right over there in the direction we're looking in? What we had then, when did it all change? What happened?"

I shake my head and I can feel a tear coming on myself.

"If I could tell you, I would. I'd love to know myself. It's just as if it all disappeared. I don't feel that connection anymore, you're never around anymore. I miss you."

She sighs heavily before bursting into tears.

I go to grab her hand but she pulls it away. I give her a confused look.

"Don't touch me," She says, gritting her teeth. "You're a liar, you don't love me anymore, you don't miss me, you're never never going to. I should of faced the facts long ago."

I shake my head and stand up, angered at the fact that she couldn't see how much I loved her, how much I cared for her.

"Stop it. Stop it now. You know that's not true, Willow. Maybe stuff like this will come up, wreck us for a while but I will never stop loving you, not for anything or anyone. You may not feel that way anymore, but I do."

She swiftly goes inside and sprints up the stairs. I hear a thump less than a minute later and I join her upstairs. She has a suitcase out and she's packing her clothes.

"Where are you going?" I ask.

"Away from all this, you don't want me anymore. I'd rather be out of your hair." She says with a blunt tone in her voice.

"This is your house, Willow. It's signed in your name. Besides, I think it's time I went and joined that band. They can help me get an apartment if you want to be away from me."

"Of course I want you away from me, Patrick, you're worthless to me. You're just the scum of the bathroom taps that no-one can get rid of. And I'm just glad we're over. Good luck with your stupid f*****g band, I hope you get nowhere." She spat.

I feel my heart sink slowly. I turn around and make my way downstairs quietly but quickly. She gasps and shouts from the top of the stairs.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, Patrick, baby I didn't mean it, you know I didn't mean it, please, Patrick, listen to me!"

I shake my head and open the door.

"Goodbye, Willow," I mumble weakly. "I'll be back for my clothes later."

I shut the door and leave her there, a sobbing mess on the floor.