Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying

Chapter 9:
Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying

*Willow's P.O.V.*

Patrick walks over as quick as he can. For some reason, he looks agitated. He grabs me by the arm, and looks me straight in the eye.
"Stay away from Imogen tonight, okay?" His voice sounds harsh and cold. I look away, unsure of what was going on. His scowl fades, and I know he didn't mean to be like that.
"Sure. As long as she can keep away from me."

For the next couple of hours, I try to do what Patrick said, but it was a little hard. Imogen was always so close to Patrick. Everywhere we went she was there, everything he said was followed by a little laugh or smile from Imogen. He didn't seem to care although, which really bugged me. Except from the way they were acting, everything was okay. Patrick would often look to see how I was doing, which was sweet, as he hadn't known me long, but could read me like a book. Maybe tonight wasn't as bad as I'd made it out to be. Imogen soon stepped back to her own boyfriend, Jamie.

*********************************

"I'm starving! Can we get some food now?"
The sound of Jamie's voice made me flinch slightly; his voice was so deep and menacing, even if he was an okay guy.
Imogen unsurprisingly answers before any of us can.
"Sure, Jay! We'll stop at the first stall we see. Actually..."
She turns around to me.
"Jamie and Willow, why don't you get something? Me and Patrick will wait here. We don't want anything."

*Patrick's P.O.V.*

"Go on," I say. "Come on, for me. You need to talk to other people more, sweetheart, you know that, right?"
She nods at me, and heads towards a stall.
Imogen lays her arm on my shoulder. "So, Patrick..."
I scowl at her.
"What?"
"Oh, don't be like that, I know you like me really. You don't really like Willow. I know you. I know you used her so you could see me. Don't worry, I did the same with Jamie."
And then she kissed me.
I tried to pull away, but she held my arm, so I couldn't move. What could I do?
I then see Willow. I sharply pull my arm away from her grasp, and run for it.
Willow!

*Willow's P.O.V.*

I shyly thank the lady at the stall for my hotdog. I didn't want something big. I was starving, and I didn't want to look like a pig. I spin round in my sneakers to see Imogen and Patrick kiss. My blood runs ice cold and suddenly, I'm not hungry anymore. I pass my hotdog to a startled looking Jamie, and run off. I wouldn't let any of them see me shed a tear.
How could Patrick do this to me? I thought he loved me! Well, that's what he said anyway...
Was I a cover-up so Patrick didn't look bad in front of Imogen?
Thoughts and feelings cluster up in my head, and I let the tears fall finally after finding a safe place to hide away from them. After crying a whole face of make-up off. I stand up, and decide what to do now. There wasn't many options. I mean, I couldn't go back to them, could I? Out of the corner of my eye, I see Patrick looking around. Was he looking for me? What a nerve that boy had. How dare he? I make a dash for it before he could find me. It was all a blur after that. He must of saw me run, because he sprints in my direction, making me run faster. I trip over a rock, and a girl catches me before I can hit the ground. She was tall, with dark hair, and heavy, dark eyeliner. Did I know her? I wasn't quite sure.
"Whoa! You okay? Oh!" She smiles at me, and I suddenly feel creeped out. "Willow, isn't it?"
I then remember. Estelle, from school. I've never actually spoke to her before, but she'd always seemed nice.
I suddenly look back in fear, to see if Patrick was near.
"You looking for Patrick? He headed in the other direction, don't worry. Are you okay?" She smiles at me. I look straight back her.
"No, no I'm not Estelle." Tears are brimming in the corners of my eyes and she hugs me tight. She sits me down and I tell her the story, and I can see the anger in her eyes. I don't know why, but she seemed not just sympathetic, but actually mad.

"Imogen." She says through gritted teeth. "Why, that little-" I stop her.
"What do you mean?" She pulls at her jet-black hair. "This is what she's known for."
I don't understand. What does she mean? She was my best friend. She wouldn't do that to me, would she?

*Patrick's P.O.V.*

I lost her. I needed to talk to her. I get my phone out of my pocket and text her.

Me: Where are you?

I knew she wouldn't reply, but it was a good shot.
Read 21:01. She must have had her phone out. I waited, but she didn't reply, so I put my phone away and put my head against the wall that I was leaning on.
What did she think of me right now? Was I going to lose her? My heart skips a beat for a moment, visioning what it'd be like not seeing her everyday. Okay, so we only had two weeks left in our school, and I only came to this school for those weeks, nothing more, nothing less, but they'd be painful without her. I attempt to talk to her again.

Me: Look, Willow, I didn't want to kiss her. She kinda jumped on me. You believe me, don't you? I'd never do this to you!

Surprisingly, I get a reply. But it wasn't what I wanted to see.

Willow: Don't. Just stop. Just stay away from me, okay? I've heard it all before, and it'll be better for both of us. Just get busy living or get busy dying. I couldn't care less now, got it?!

*Willow's P.O.V.*

Writing that text was the hardest thing I'd ever done in my whole life.