The Mighty Fall

Chapter 5:
The Mighty Fall

I left the house with a plastic smile the next morning. Imogen was her bouncy self and she didn't realise, so Patrick wouldn't. Or so I thought. As soon as I stepped into the building, I felt sick to the pit of my stomach. I knew I hadn't done anything wrong, I just didn't want the sympathy. I didn't want him to know what happened, how I'd felt. But I'd have to be strong. I felt a warm hand on my shoulder, making me spin round quickly. Patrick.

*************************************

"Patrick, I can explain-"
"Look, Willow, you don't have to explain anything. It's not my problem, and if you don't like me, it's fine. I can deal with that." I shook my head.
"It's not that I don't like you, I promise. I need to find somewhere private I can tell you." My eyes scanned the canteen for a room or a few un occupied seats. Before I could take him by the wrist anywhere, he grabbed my hand, and looked me in the eyes.
"Well, I'm glad. It's just that..." He didn't finish his sentence, but his eyes said it all. Both of us blushed a scarlet red, and I lead him into the classroom.
So within the next five minutes, I'd told him the story, and explained it all. I wouldn't have allowed myself to cry usually but the tears came pouring down anyway. The bell went suddenly, and we both stood up. He caught a stray tear resting on my cheek, and pulled me for a tight embrace. It was what I needed. I hugged him back, and when we realised we had to go, neither of us wanted to let go. It wasn't just me anymore. There was an us.

At recess, we sat together. Imogen had gone, and his friends didn't appear to be around.
"I'll never leave you alone now I have you, Willow. I promise you."
The words echoed in my mind, making me wince and leaving me stunned. I sighed deeply.
"I've heard it all before, Patrick. Give it a while, I promise you!"
He laughed at me. "No, I'm goddamned serious! People always say this and then walk away before you know it."
"Who said I had was like that. Besides, I think... I think I'm in love with you." He took my hand and smiled. He had such a nice smile, I had to admit. The urge to kiss him, right there, right then got worse, and I held his hand just that little bit tighter. I brung my head closer, making Patrick do the same. And then we kissed. It was an incredible feeling that ran through me. And when we finally stopped, I saw my universe in his deep blue eyes, my everything.
"I think I love you too, Patrick.."
After that, we spent a few cherished moments gazing into each other's eyes. Everything was perfect, and that was all I knew.