What A Catch, Donnie

Chapter 11:

What A Catch, Donnie

*Willow's P.O.V.*

The next time I was slightly conscious was in the hospital.

The hospital.

Turns out my mom called the doctor, and I was taken in an ambulance. The walls of the ward gleamed yellow, and I was alone. Not quite. At the other side of the room, I could make out a blur of my mom and a nurse.

"No need to worry. Not at all. She must of just hyperventilated. We still have to find out what triggered it though..."

I attempt to sit up in the bed, but I have no energy at all, so I just flop back onto the hospital bed.

"Willow?" Mom runs over to me, and hugs me. "You gave me a shock, young lady!" She has tears gathering in the corners of her eyes, which makes me begin to cry. I did this to her.

The nurse, who was incredibly tall, by the way, awkwardly shuffles out of the room.

"Mom? Did you tell them about the..." My voice trails off. I remember everything before I passed out, which makes me cry harder. Patrick, oh, Patrick. What I'd do to let you see me like this, so you feel bad for kissing my best friend...

"No. It's none of their business. What did happen in there?" She looks genuinely concerned, not something I experience from anyone usually.

The door opens before I can answer. Estelle.

Wait.

Estelle? How did she find out?

"Willow! Are you okay?" Another one to look concerned. I could trust her. "When I said you could walk home, I didn't expect you to go and do this!"

"Yeah, fine and all that jazz. Just woozy. How did you find out anyway?"

She moves a strand of hair from her face. "Fabian. My boyfriend. Yeah, he lives next door."

She turns to Mom.

"Did you tell your mom, Willow? Did you want me to?" I nod and they both leave the room.

I'm alone. Alone.

Mom quickly nips back in and places my phone on my bed.

"Here." She kisses my forehead and leaves.

How long was I out cold?

*****************************************************

*Patrick's P.O.V.*

There are lots of ways to spend a Saturday. I spent mine worrying about Willow, and why her phone had been off for all this time. It was 1pm. She was obviously awake.

I try to call her just one time. This time it rings, and I feel a sense of relief. She doesn't pick up, so I leave her texts.

Me: You had me worried all night. What happened to you?

Me: Please. Just tell me you're okay.

They were all read. None of them were replied to.

******************************************************

*Willow's P.O.V.*

I look down at my phone as if it's some sort of alien. I watched the texts run through, and wondered what I did to deserve him. Why was he so concerned? Shouldn't he be worrying about Imogen right now? They seemed to have a thing going on there; I was none of his business.

He calls me, and I don't know why I did, but I picked up the phone, and press the Accept Call button.

Patrick's voice sounded hoarse and worried, and for a few moments I just listen.

"Look, Willow, all I want to know is that you're safe, okay? You don't even have to speak. I can't be mad with you. I have no right to, but you have every right to. But I'm hoping you won't be after I explain to you. Look, call me back in a little while. I got another call coming through. And if this is the end of us, thank you for helping me realise who I am. I love you, Willow."

I can't stop myself from crying. Explaining won't change anything. He kissed my best friend.

I try to whisper out a weak 'Wait' before he hangs up, but I'm too late.

I lay back in the bed, and Mom comes back into the room.

"Honey... Look, you could have told me this. You need to start talking to me more. I could of helped you through this."

Estelle comes in, and shuts the door behind her.

"I have to talk to you, and you might not believe me or understand, but it's true."

So she tells me everything. About Patrick's innocence, right down to the reputation of the girl who was supposed to be my best friend. Everything seemed so crystal clear after that. I knew what I'd do.

The dialling tone sounds, and I hope for the best.

"Patrick? Look I'm sorry. Estelle, a girl who goes to our school. She's been a real help. I'm at the hospital, come and see me, if you want.."

"Hospital?"