Chapter 4- Catching and Losing

"Sure." Maddie replied. She wasn't expecting Meelee to lead her up to their common room and up further to their dorms.
   Maddie's body was still extremely tired and when they made it to the dorms, Maddie immediately slumped on her bed, which was closest to the door. Meelee sat opposite, her legs crossed.
   "What's up?" Maddie was trying to be casual, but this behaviour was weirding her out.
   "Mads... why are you always so sick?" She asked softly.
   The question struck Maddie in the chest like a silver bullet. She knew one of her friends would ask the question at some point, but she didn't have an answer.
   "Wh-what do you mean?"
   "Maddie." Meelee's gaze was hard and cold- it sent a shiver down her spine.
   "Meels... I can't answer that." She didn't look up at her friend. Even as she spoke she could feel her healing cuts tingling. When she finally met Meelee's gaze tears were floating in her eyes.
   "Teddy and Vicki know." She said quietly. So maybe whatever was going on would be an obstruction to their friendship... for only Merlin knew how long.
   "Meelee, it's not like that." She tried to reason. Meelee looked up, hurt.
   "We're meant to be best friends Maddie. You've told your other two closest friends, Victoire and Teddy, but not me. Why? Does the friendship we've had for the last few years count as nothing?"
   "Meels, it's not like th-"
   "You're disappearing constantly, no one seeing you for days, Maddie we all know something is up and you don't tell us. Maddie you don't realise how lucky you are. You have an amazing sister, an incredible mum and friends who accept the fact that you use them."
   "Meelee I couldn't help-" Maddie tried to protest again. However Meelee was on fire now, and it would take more than ice to put her out.
   "I've known you since our first year. We had no secrets. Now you're playing games with not just me, but with every single one of us. You're smart Madeline, you should know that your friends shouldn't be left out. In fact Madeline, do you know how much most of us would give to have brains like yours? You're smart, funny and polite. You don't have a bright future ahead of you, you have a blinding future."
   "You don't know anything-" Maddie growled as felt herself get hotter as Meelee touched an emotional topic, not just for her, but for her whole family.
   "In fact you're being really horrid keeping something like this from me. I've stood beside you for the last four years and you can't tell me one thing that seems to be significant to you. I tell you everything about me. We can't be friends if only one of is going to cooperate. And you could just tell me. But no, of course you're going to choose the easy option."
    "Meelee if you could listen for a second-" Maddie desperately pleaded.
    "No Madeline, I've been listening for four years. Don't suddenly decide you want me to listen now. I'm tired Madeline. Until you decide to break down the walls of obnoxiousness, secrets and take a quick look at reality, Madeline Pilrick I can't be friends with you!" Meelee yelled.
    "Amelia! Just listen!" Maddie cried. Tears rolled down her cheeks and fell through her shirt. They burnt as the salt crossed the scars on her chest and shoulders.
    Meelee stormed away, too fast for Maddie to catch her, but nevertheless she tried. Once she got half way down the stairs she realised her friend was long gone.
    Her stupid lycanthropy. It got in the way of everything. She could hardly get up the stairs, and even as she was struggling she could feel the receipt from the full moon.
    Footsteps were coming up behind her, so she looked down, hoping they wouldn't see her tear stained face. They echoed as the heal hit the stone stair case.
    "Mads?" Maddie almost cried with relief when she heard her younger sister. She turned to face her and Maisie's face was instantly sympathetic. "C'mon." Maisie let her older sister lean on her as they made it up to Maddie's dorm room. Maddie leant against her four poster bead and began crying again. Suddenly she felt a smaller, warmer body against hers. Maddie gratefully hugged her sister back and they both sat down on her bed.
   "What happened?" Maisie asked gently.
    "Meelee hates me. She knows something's up but she's angry that she doesn't know what." Maddie responded, her throat slightly dry.
    "Oh Mads. When did you get out of hospital wing?"
    "Half an hour ago or something." That part made Maisie angry. Maddie's body should not be put under this sort of pressure, particularly after the recent scare of her cuts reopening. "I don't know what to do about it. At this point Meelee is definitely not talking to me, and either way I haven't actually told anyone that I'm a werewolf before. Teddy and Victoire just have wolfish family..." She said, obviously thinking out loud. Maisie rubbed Maddie's should gently. They caught up with each other for a while, chatting until Maddie grew tired.
   "So Maiz..." Maddie began, "are there any kids you like in your year?" She asked cheekily. However to her surprise Maisie turned a rosey pink.
   "Oooh, do tell!" She urged, sitting up slightly straighter.
   "Well, he's called Oscar-" she began, but was interrupted quickly.
   "Oscar Morley? He's cute!" Maddie exclaimed. Maisie laughed.
   "Yep, him. But, uh yeah I kinda like him." Maisie was pink all over her face by this point. "How are you and Robbie?" She was eager to change the subject. This time it was Maddie's turn to go a little pink.
   "We're good thanks. I like having a kind of loose relationship, it's all super chill, you know?" She said, her face cooling down.
   Robbie Graph and his yellow hair was Maddie's boyfriend. When they admitted to each other the previous summer that they liked each other (with some encouragement of friends) they agreed to have a super light hearted relationship. As in they could flirt with other people and do cheeky little things like that, but still like each other- in other words they weren't 'super serious'.
    Maddie hadn't realised how distant she had gotten with her sister since going back to school. However, in her weakened condition she could only last so long without completely burning out.
    Although the other girls didn't see because of the deep red velvet curtains drawn around her bed, that night Maddie fell asleep on her sister's shoulder, her knees tucked up to her chest and her body in a ball. The two girls slept under the covers, Maddie's head on Maisie's chest and Maddie, who felt the events of the evening had melted away to be resolved in the morning, had not slept so well in a long time.

A/N- Is it just me or do certain parts of some stories remind you of songs? For example Lion heart by Demi Lovato reminds me of the Order of the Phoenix (just listen to it and you'll understand 🙃)? Well this chapter reminds me of the song Said It All by Take That. I'm probably gonna mention songs at the end of some chapters so look at for the music notes!🎶