New Life: Gabriella

It had been two days since I left the palace.

  The cart had just arrived at Faemore.

  I only had some crushed berries and a bit of jam left, the sun was already setting and I had to find a place to sleep.

  I walked down the street, the floor was covered in uneven stones and the smell of sweat and mud filled the air.

  The men from the surrounding shops shouted things like ‘Buy our fresh bread!’ or ‘We sell pork here!’. It was not like anything I have seen before.

  Soon, I saw an inn. It had a gray exterior and the door and windows gave out a welcoming and soft light.

  I opened the door, a few men were already inside.

  ‘What do you want?’ the big bald man asked while drinking a bottle of ale.

  ‘I want to stay for a night.’ I said in my fake voice.

  ‘That will be 19 Derusian dollars.’ he said.

  I searched inside my pockets and my bag, but there was no money.

  ‘Well, I don’t have any money. But I can give you this.’ I said, pulling out a dress from my bag.

  ‘Women, what can we do with a god damn dress?’ he raged.

  Crap, what am I to do?

  ‘Sorry sir, but can I have a job here?’ I asked, not knowing what to do.

  ‘A job...’ muttered the bald man.

  ‘You are lucky, lass. There is one last place in the bath.’ the petite man cooed.

  ‘The bath? What am I supposed to do there?’ I asked.

  ‘To heat the water and to put herbs in.’ he said.

  ‘I see, I’ll take the job.’ I said, dispite having no work experience.

  ‘What is your name, lass?’ he asked.

  ‘It’s Gab... I mean... Joan.’ I stuttered.

  ‘Carrots, show Joan to the bath.’ he commanded the ginger boy.

  ‘Yes, Sun.’ said the boy and gestured me to follow him.

  We walked up the stairs to the second floor. He opened the curtains made of sackcloth.

  Behind the curtains, there was a pool of steamy water which smelled like herbs and an old lady was in the pool, poking her head and neck out. There were hooks on the walls with gray towels.

  ‘So, is this just for the ladies or not?’ I asked curiosity.

  ‘Oh no, Joan. This place is where everyone bathe in.’ replied Carrots.

  My face turned pink at the thought that I will see fully naked men here.

  We walked around the pool of water and he opened another door.

  ‘This is where the water is heated.’ he said.

  This room was even hotter than the previous one. In the centre of the room was a big pot of water, and underneath it were burning wood. In the shelves in the room was piled with bottles.

  A woman and a girl started to add droplets of the bottled stuff.

  ‘Hey, she be your new colleague!’ he said to the two of them.

  The girl waved and smiled.

  ‘You start work tomorrow.’ said Carrots.

  I nodded.