Chapter 7: The Truth

"What is this Cal? I didn't expect this from you." Grandma said angrily. It was the next day.

"What is what? I...I didn't do anything." I replied, nervously.

"Darling, you know exactly what I'm talking about!" She snapped.

"Oh that. I figured that you'll find out. Yes, I was about to speak to you about it today but..." "But what? Oh, you were going so kind as to inform me about VIOLATING MY PRIVACY? Who gave you that right young lady?" Grandma sounded really upset while still being really, really angry.

"Look, Grandma. I'm really sorry about searching through your room but you left me no option. Grandma please tell me why my pendent glowed when I recited those lines. Please tell me what you're hiding from me. I really want to know." I replied.

Grandma sighed. "All that matters now, is that you've put all of us in grave danger and knowing the truth can't change that."

"What do you mean?" I asked curiously.

"Since the mistake has already been made, I have no choice but to tell you the truth. The truth regarding the pendants." She told me and made me sit on next to her on her bed.

"So listen carefully. A long time ago, there was an apprentice called Alaric who lived in the city of Bellendis. He was young, intelligent and very handsome. The people of Bellendis used to worship him for his kindness and humanity. People used to say that one day god had himself come upon him and given him special powers because of his good deeds. Some said that it was God, who had blessed him with special powers, but it was actually a potion that he consumed that gave him his powers. Soon, he began to realize the extent of his powers then, he became a man of pride and greed. He wanted more and more and more and wouldn't stop. He started using his powers to do horrible things. He made people obey him against their will, he made them fear him and worship him and subjected them to the most gruesome punishments if they refused to do so. Once, he made a lot of potion and just as he was walking through his castle to keep them in his safe, he accidentally spilt some on his daughters' pendants that the maid was carrying to give it back to them. Alaric didn't realize that but she did. She was a good friend of mine. She came to me as quickly as she could and handed them over to me. She said that if Alaric's daughters got them then they would too become cruel and merciless like their father. So, I agreed to keep the pendants until I found someone who could be its rightful owner. For keeping the pendants safe, I decided to move to this modern dimension. He also learnt to make a potion that would make him stay the same age forever so that he never aged and never died."

"So Bellendis is a place that exists?"

"Yes. But it's not in this world."

"What!?" I exclaimed, surprised.

"As I said, it's in the other dimension, a dimension where I was born."

"Um...okay. What about the maid? Is she alive?"

"Alaric killed her when he found out about the pendants. She was the daughter of one of the great wizards of our Pura Councilium. He saw his daughter die in front of his own eyes. At once, he warned Alaric that he had committed huge crime by killing his only child, his defenseless little girl and cursed him that not one, but two girls would be the reason of his death. Alaric didn't spare him after that. He tortured him until one day he took his last breath. I left Bellendis forever. It was a deal I made in order to protect the pendant."

"Why? Why would you sacrifice everything you had for saving the pendant?"

"I was a part of the Pura Councilium. The Pura Councilium was formed when Alaric got on the throne and became a horrifying ruler. It was our duty to protect our people. I knew that I wasn't strong enough to kill Alaric, so we secretly recruited people and trained them, hoping that the one who was strong enough could do it." She said, lost in deep thought.

"So, is Alaric still alive?" I curiously asked.

"I don't know. I think he is. None of the members of the Pura Councilium realized that if the lines of the letter was recited by two brave hearts, then Alaric's sword would also glow along with your pendant. Thats why I think that he knows where the pendant are."

"Does he know how to come into this dimension?"

"Darling, he knows everything. That's why we are in danger. You both shouldn't have opened that letter."

"You know that Evanthia came yester--"

"Of course. Or else you would have never said that your pendant glowed. The pendant glow only when they find it's rightful owners. Looks like it chose both of you." Grandma worried.

"Oh my god. What are we gonna do now, Grandma?"

"I was scared this would happen. I was scared that I'll lose you forever. That's precisely why I never told you about them before. Seeing one of the pendant on Evanthia's neck I knew what was coming ahead. I tried to keep you away from Evanthia. But now I think that you're Bellendis' only hope. You have to save it or else nothing will remain."

"But how did she get one of the pendant? I thought you had both of them." I was puzzled.

Grandma yawned and said, "Don't you think it's late for school? You don't want your chem teacher to suspend you for a week, do you?"

"No but I want to know that--"

"Just get me a glass of water and go to school already! You've literally made me speak my lungs out today."

"Oh sorry, Grandma." I replied "I love you. Thank you so much for telling me the truth."

As I walk passed the corridors,I hear someone yelling. "Hey Dora the explorer! Are you done exploring?" Everyone heard this and started laughing.

It was definitely Zina who said that.

"Zina, my name is Callidora not Dora if you forgot it by any chance."

"Dora or Callidora. Both are the same because both suck!" Zina commented.

I tried to ignore her and walked ahead but some how she came in front of me and blocked me.

"What do you want Zina? Just let me go or else..." I warned her.

"Or else what? Are you trying to threaten me? 'Cause it's definitely not working." She said.

"No. I'm not. I'm just telling you. I have a class to attend." I said.

"Okay. I just want you to know that stay away from James or else I'll make your life worse than hell. Do you understand?"

"Are you trying to threaten me?' Cause it's not working. And oh, I'm so going to stay away from him cause I'm so scared. Now move. As I said I have a class to attend." I sarcastically imitated her lines.

"No one dares to talk to me like that, you bitch. Consider yourself dead meat!"

She pushed me hard and I fell down. I got up, left my bag in a corner and pushed her. Instead of falling she came right back at me and punched me on my cheek. My mouth started bleeding on one side. She was really strong. By now, I felt the whole school staring at me in silence. I saw James and his friends too. No one helped. I punched Zina on her chest and that probably only made her angrier. She ran towards me but Principal Hannigan came and shouted "What the hell is going on here? Everybody go to your classrooms at once! And Miss Flinn and Miss Marshall, you're coming with me now!"

Zina and I followed him. He called up our parents and told them to pick us up from school and added that we were suspended for two weeks. I was so hurt from within. Just then, James came in and told Mr. Hannigan that it was Zina who provoked me. I felt special when he took my side instead if just standing there. Principal Hannigan reduced my suspension to one week. I had never been suspended but today, because of Zina, everything fell apart. I couldn't even speak to Evanthia regarding those pendants. My mom came and picked me up. "I'm sorry, Mom. I swear I didn't start it."

"I know, honey. I trust you. You would never do such a thing." Mom said confidently.

"Thanks, Mom." I smiled.