Chapter 18 : Home Sweet Home

I opened my eyes and found myself on the top of my bed. I was tucked in my bed sheet and Cuddles was sleeping near my feet. He looked quite older which seemed absurd. I studied the room with great detail. My eyes wandered everywhere. My room looked the same way I had left it. It was as though all this was just a mere dream. I wanted to make sure it was. So I got up from my bed and ran downstairs to the living room and Cuddles followed me in confusion.

I dialed a number on the telephone. It rang and as someone picked up,

I said impatiently, "Hello? Mrs. Clarke?" 

"Mr. And Mrs. Clarke have gone out for a few days. I'm Stacey, Caleb's babysitter."

"Stacey, can I speak to Evanthia, please? It's pretty urgent."

"Actually she's gone a trip with her friend. May I know who's speaking?"

I cut the phone and fell on my knees.
It dawned on me that it wasn't a dream. It was truly a living nightmare.

Bellendis had existed. My biological parents were dead. Grandma had lied to me. Evanthia had betrayed me for so long. I had lost her forever. All these thoughts came in my head.

"Honey, you're awake? How are you feeling now?" Mom asked as she came towards me.

"Please leave me alone. " I said.

Mom ignored me and pat her hand over my head.

"I said leave me alone!" I yelled.

"Honey, you have a fever. You must rest." Mom said, with fright.

"You have no right to tell me what I should do and what I shouldn't. You're not even my mother!" I yelled as I walked towards my room. I clashed with grandma on the way.

"Cal, that's no way to talk to your mother! Apologize for right way please." Grandma said as her face turned more stern.

"Apologize? For what? For saying the truth? She is not my mother. Isn't that true grandma?" I demanded answers.
"Cal...since you know, Let me explain." Grandma started.

"Explain? So there's more of your secrets involved now? How many more are you hiding grandma?" I exclaimed.

"Come with me. " Grandma said and jerked me into her room. As we sat in her bed she said, "You shouldn't have left Evanthia and come."

"Do you have any idea what happened? She betrayed me grandma and so did you. You hid the truth from me. My mother is Clarissa and my father is Hellas."

"They were your past. But these parents of yours are your present and future. They have raised you as their own. They have never deprived you of anything. They don't deserve to be treated badly." Grandma said.

"So you're saying that I should just forget about my past?"

"No. You shouldn't. I'm saying that you should move on. Why are you only thinking about yourself darling? Think about me too. It's been so hard for me since my child and his wife died and to accept two others as my own was not easy. I couldn't sleep for days. When I cried, I just couldn't stop. I spoke to Rhiannon who was appointed as the head of the Concilium. She was my best friend. She helped me cope up with my loss. She gave me the strength to accept the fact and to move on with life. I had responsibilities of you and Eva. But I had to send Eva away from you so that you both couldn't never meet and never find a way back to Bellendis. I wanted to keep you safe. It nearly broke down when I had to distance myself from one granddaughter in order to protect the both of them. But I still accepted your mother and father as my own and they took care of me so well that it didn't make any difference after a point of time."

I thought about what she said. She did make sense. I would be so heartbroken if I was in her position. She had lost her home, her kingdom, her everything but still started a fresh beginning. She hadn't forgotten about her past but had still moved on.

"I think you're right. These are my parents now and they will be forever. But I can't say that for my sister."

"I was shocked when you came back so I asked Fleur about everything. She told me that Evanthia is with Alaric now."

"Yes. But I don't want to talk about her. Please. I want to sleep. My head's aching."

I walked out of the room and my sight fell on my mother who was sitting on the couch and weeping in convulsion. I went to her. She faltered, "I'm sorry honey. I'm...I'm really sorry I hid the truth from you. Your grandmother warned me not to. You're right, I'm not your mother and Andrew isn't your father. I'm so sorry honey."

I couldn't see her cry. It pained me. Her beautiful features, marred by the sadness thrown upon her by myself.
Her cheeks and eyes flushed red with the warm tears that streamed down. I realized my mistake.

I wiped her tears.
"I'm sorry for the way I reacted. I was just cross because all the secrets opened up at the same time and I just couldn't handle it. I shouldn't have disobliged you. You and Dad are my parents no matter what happens. Probably even the best things of my life. You understand? You both were and will always be my parents. I will always love both of you."

I hugged her tightly and she hugged me back. I felt much lighter as I vented out my feelings and melted into her embrace. She kissed me on my forehead gently. All I wished at that point of time was that I could stay wrapped in her arms forever. 

"You must be hungry. I'll make some pasta for you."

"Oh yes, please! I love pasta!" I replied as I looked up at her and put on a weak smile.

I let mom get up and followed her to the kitchen where she made pasta for me and I wholeheartedly ate it. I had missed her cooking so much. In Bellendis, we could eat only raw fruits and sautéed vegetables. Even if the food was cooked, it was really bland. But I didn't want to think about that place anymore. It had given me nothing but sorrow. It had snatched away everyone who was close to me in that place. 

After eating, I went to bed. Mom tucked me in as if I was a little child. She said, "I missed you, honey. Sleep tight."

"I missed you too mom. Good night." I yawned. She switched off the lights, wished me a good night and retired outside.

I closed my eyes and tried to sleep but as soon as I did, my last conversation with Evanthia reeled like a movie in my mind. I just couldn't stop thinking about her. I wondered if she was safe. Cuddles quietly sneaked in between my arms and whimpered. It was as if he craved for my love that was missing for so many days and wondered where I had vanished for so long. I patted his head and ran my fingers through his hair. We both couldn't sleep because of our own reasons and kept staring at the window, which accompassed the tranquility outside. Soon my eyes felt heavy and consecutively shut.