Chapter 2: Socialising

After a few days of school, Evanthia and I decided to go shopping. It was a Sunday. Eva and I wanted to spend the whole day together so we decided to go to a mall. Elliot Shopping Centre, we decided.

As we entered Elliot, we began conversing.

"So, do you like this place now?" She asked me.

"Of course I do. It's a little different and new. But I still miss New York. It will always be my first home." I replied calmly.

"Good to know. And don't worry, very soon you'll be so comfortable in this place that you'll never feel like going back. " she told me.

I fiddled with the ends of my hair. "Maybe. Do you mind if I ask you something?"

"You know, you don't have to ask me that. Please, ask whatever you want to. No objections at all." She replied.

I gently asked her, "I was wondering, where you bought that necklace? It looks..."

"Exactly like yours. I know. I've been wanting to ask you the same question. My grandma gave this necklace to me." She replied.

"Oh my god! My grandma gave mine to me too." I said.

"That's so cool! What a coincidence!" She exclaimed.

"I know right! I'd like to meet your grandma sometime." I said.

"She's no more. She passed away when I was four years old. I don't even remember how she looked." She said, trying to cover the pain.

"Oh, I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have brought up the topic." I said.

"No problem. I'm over it now." She replied.

We tried on a lot of dresses and helped each other in choosing some of them. It was a lot of fun. The last time I felt so happy was when I spent time with my best friends in New York.

Later, we went to the McD and ate lunch together. I came to know a lot about Evanthia that day. She had a small family too. She had a younger brother named Caleb, who was very mischievous. Her grandma was no more and she missed her a lot but wouldn't admit it. She was still a little lonely and loved reading books.

"Why do you love reading so much?" I asked out of curiosity.

"The same reason why you like watching movies and television." She replied.

"Because, I find it more interesting. Plus, it's much easier to picture it as a movie." I said.

"Same. Only that I feel like I've entered a new world when I'm reading. I can imagine any scene the way I want to. It's like I'm a director of the film in my mind." She said.

"That's a good reason, only that it still wouldn't reduce my love for movies."

"It isn't intended too."

"Okay, so my parents and my grandma want to meet you. They're very surprised that I've made such a good friend in little time. "

"Sure, I'll come over whenever you want."

As we went out of the mall, we bumped into Eva's good friend.

"Dina! OMG! I'm so glad to see you!"

"Me too! We're talking after so long! What are you doing here? Who's this?" Dina asked.

I looked at the dark complexioned girl standing in front of me. Her hair was tied up in a messy bun and she wore a black shirt with blue jeans. She was a little taller than me.

"She's my new friend, Callidora! We had come here to shop for homecoming" Eva told her, trying to ignore the fact that I was still staring blankly.