Chapter 28 : Family History

I walk towards the left from the door while Luke and Fleur take the right. My eye scans every part of the way I'm walking. Every turn I take makes me more comfortable with the castle. I somehow start having flashes of the memory of this place.

The chandeliers, the huge doors, the paintings. It looks very familiar. I take the right, then left and then right again. Still no sign of Eva. The path through which I'm walking leads me to a room where I see nothing but antique paintings.

They are portraits of people - beautiful people. Suddenly, I see a portrait of a woman, seated on the throne. It attracts me close to it at once. I walk towards it. She wears a crown on her head, her face giving the most elegant smile ever. She wears a rose-coloured gown and one of her hands kept on the other.

Below the portrait, I read the text "The late queen Clarissa- The Elegant"
I look up again at her eyes. The shades of light brown, just like mine. I recognize her now. "My mother?" I ask myself. I touch her hands, her face and her hair. I feel sorrow. I don't even know how Alaric would have hurt her. Would he have tortured her or killed her instantly?

I look at the portrait next to it. A man wearing a crown, sitting on the same throne my mother sits, smiles at me. He's wearing a white and golden robe and has a sword in his hand. He looks like one of the kindest men I have ever seen.

His eyes are the same shade as that of Evanthia's fawn eye colour. My eyes find the text below it. "King Hal - The Bold"

I keep my hand on his hand and smile back at him. "Father?" I ask myself. I feel so attached to him.
I can't imagine how Alaric would have killed him too.

I move on it the next painting. I see mother and father holding hands. My mother is holding a baby in her right hand and father is holding another baby in his left hand.

The text below says "The Royal Family- The Queen, The King and their two daughters, Callidora and Evanthia respectively." I slide my palm on the word, 'Family'. Drops of warm and round tears from my eyes fall on my left arm. I ignore them and slide my fingers on Evanthia's little face. "I couldn't save mother and father, but I won't let Alaric take you away from me. I promise."

I look at mom and dad for the last time before I leave the room. "I promise I'll kill Alaric, restore peace in Bellendis and make you proud." I wipe away my tears and storm outside.

My walkie-talkie beeps and as I press the button, I hear Fleur's voice. "Did you find her Fleur?"

"No. But I'm still searching. South is clear, no sight of her."

"Okay, I checked west. That's cleared too."

Just then, I hear Luke's voice.
"East is clear too. Couldn't find her anywhere."

"Then the only way left is North. Cal, you'll have to search over there. I need to handle..." Fleur says and the line gets cut.

"What? What happened, Fleur? Hello? Hello?"

"Luke, you go and search in the dungeons. Meanwhile, I'll head to the north side."

I keep the walkie-talkie in my pocket and walk at a faster pace, towards the north side of the castle. Over the stairs, through the corridors, I just keep looking around for Evanthia.

After ten minutes, I observe my pendant glowing. I follow the light of my pendant and somehow reach the place it glows the brightest. It takes me to a narrow corridor that leads to the dungeons. It's a little dark, but the glow of my pendant lights the path. I look around for Evanthia, but can't see her anywhere. I start taking steps backwards to check whether my pendant is glowing brighter. Suddenly, I feel like I've bumped into something. I'm startled and take out my wand and turn back.