Chapter 24 : Awkward

I hear the doorbell ring. I look outside the window. I'm right. It's James. He's giving me a big worried look. Grandma calls me down. "Coming!" I yell as I walk down the stairs. I see James sitting on the couch in the living room. I roll my eyes. He's one person who I really want to avoid right now.

"See who's come to meet you Cal! Why didn't you introduce me to this handsome young man before?" She asks.

My cheeks blush. I feel the warmth. I'm unable to figure out why.
Grandma says, "Okay. I'll leave you both alone for a while or else the turkey will surely get burnt!" And goes into the kitchen.

"James, I was just about to come over to your place and speak to you." I tell James.

"I came here so that I could sort things out with you. Have I done something wrong?" James asks.

"Nope. I have." I say. "I've been wrong in treating you like shit."

"Why are you saying that?" He asks me.

"Cause I'm stupid and I don't even know why you are my friend." I say as I turn to walk away. As I do, I feel James's hand holding mine. It's like electricity is passing through my whole arm. I brush my hand away.

"Please Cal, tell me. I really have to know why you were so cross with me. Why were you ignoring me? I can't handle it anymore. If I did something wrong, I have the right to know! I didn't deserve to be treated this way!" He exclaims. I have never heard James raise his voice this way before. He looks so angry right now.

"I was wrong about you. You are a good guy. I'm the one who's selfish. I didn't even think about my sister and I left her all alone." I say.

"That doesn't make any sense. You have a sister?" James says.

"Well, actually I was referring to Evanthia. Though I don't have a sibling, she's like one to me. Look, Evanthia betrayed me. Okay, I thought she betrayed me. Now, I know that I was wrong and due to our differences, I've behaved terribly with you. You must hate me by now." I say.

"That still doesn't make any sense. Why should I be hating you?" He asks.

"Oh my god! Are you kidding me? I never knew that you were such a dweeb. I thought that you liked her. But I used to like.." I say.

"You used to like whom?" James asks.
"Um..um...you." I mumble.

"Me? Callidora Flinn likes me?" James asks. He surely is shocked.

"Wait. And you thought that I liked Evanthia? That's why you weren't talking to me properly?" He asks.
I nod my head.

"I don't like her, Callidora. I like you." He says. I can't feel my ears anymore. I see him blush.

"Aw. So romantic!" I hear violet's voice. I glare at her and Fleur puts her hand on her mouth.
"Wait, who said that?" James says looking everywhere, even right through Violet. So, he actually can't see her. I think.

"Um.um.. I said that." I cover up.
"But that didn't seem like your voice." He says.
"I still can't believe that you like me. That's why my voice is actually getting weird." I say, coughing and imitating Violet's voice.

"But Eva told me that you liked her." I say.

"No ways. She's a good girl. But I've always liked you. Maybe she had a misconception. She would have thought that I looked at her when I actually looked at you. Mistakes happen. It's alright." He says.

"You used to look at me?" I ask. I feel kind of awkward now.

"Yes. I mean you're beautiful." He says.
"Thanks. You aren't bad yourself." I compliment him back.
"So are we okay now?" He asks.