Chapter 17: The Portal

I sat at the edge of the river. My legs, being dipped in its cool water gave me a sense of calmness. I couldn't stop weeping as just stared at the water. I could see the reflection of the three, staring at me in pity.

Violet had informed them about everything that had happened. I felt that my whole life had slipped out from my hands. I lost the simplest thing that I could have cherished if I had known its value.

Everything that had happened between Evanthia and me flashed before my eyes like a movie. From all the good moments until the worse moment I had with her. I just couldn't get her out of my head.

Fleur came and sat next to me. "You okay?" She asked.

"Do I look okay?" I asked with a voice that cracked. I leaned on her shoulders. "Everything is over."

"No. It's not. We haven't killed Alaric yet. We haven't won yet." She said.

"I..I don't think I can do it. I should never have come here. I want to go home. I want to go to grandma." I cried.

"You know what, there are a few things you should know before you make that decision. " Fleur said.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Don't you want to know about your real parents?" Fleur asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Let me tell you this. If anyone outside Bellendis comes to visit the city, they can't understand a word nor can they speak our language until they learn it. But you did understand and you could have conversations with us which means that you are a true Bellendian. You are born here Callidora. This is your birthplace. Your parents are from here. If you want I could tell you about them." She said.

"I...I want to." I replied.

"I personally didn't know your parents but the people of the Councillium surely did. Your parents were one of the noblest people in Bellendis. Your father was a prince. He married your mother who was a great wizard and could do every magic. They gave birth to twins. Your mother made those pendants for you and transferred powers in it. Later, Alaric killed them in a war. You both were only a year old. Your grandmother, who was the head of the Councillium after she was banished from her own castle, decided to take both of you far away from this place so that she could keep you safe. That's why she took you to a different world. She took two sets of couples with her who would raise you as their own babies. That's when both of you got separated and she advised them to go to different parts of your world so that you would never meet each other. But when you met each other, she knew that someday you will recite the prophecy. That day she told you that the pendants had chosen you so that she could increase your confidence and so that you wouldn't back out if she told you that you were the future of Bellendis." She said.

"That's great! Now I definitely know that I'm no good without the pendant." I exclaimed.

"No, it's not like that. You are one of the bravest people I've ever met." She said.

"No, I'm not. Alaric was right. Evanthia was right. I'm a coward. I'm responsible for everything that happened. It's all because of me that Rhiannon and Grifford died. I'm of no use for Bellendis." I said.

"That's not true. You are our princess. You deserve to sit on the throne." She said.

"No. I'm weak and I'm a coward. By the way, how do you know so much about my family?" I asked.

"I've heard Rhiannon talk to your grandmother about it through her holograms. I've also read your file." She said.

"But grandma said that Alaric had made the pendants for his daughters and..."

"That's all bullshit. Alaric never knew how to transfer powers. Your grandmother lied to you. In fact, after she lost your father and mother, someone cursed Alaric that not one but two warriors would be the cause of his death." Fleur said.

"I can't believe grandma lied to me. She hid such a big truth from us. But why?" I said.

"Maybe it was because she was scared that she'll lose Evanthia and you as well. " Fleur said.

" You know what? I really don't know who to trust anymore. I trusted grandma and she lied to me. I trusted Evanthia and she betrayed me. What's the guaranty that I can trust you?" I asked in dismay.

"Your right. I have been hiding something from you too. Here, this is the dimension ball. If you throw this in any direction and think about your dimension, a portal will open up and if you walk right through it then you'll find yourself in your dimension. I'm sorry. I should have given it to you earlier but I was scared that you'll run away. But now I feel that whatever decision you take, it'll be for good.

"You don't understand. I can't fight Evanthia. I just can't hurt her." I said.

"After what all she's done to you?" Fleur asked.

"I know she has done miserable things to me but if you recall, she never harmed me physically. She had all the chances to but she didn't. I can never hurt her physically either. If anything happens to her then what will I answer grandma? That's why I can't stay here anymore. I can't fight her. I'm done. I want to go home." I said.

"You have to stay. Please Callidora. I need you. We all need you. Bellendis needs you." Fleur assured me.

"I'm sorry. " I said as I threw the ball and thought of my world. A portal opened. I thought of my house where I'd longed to be. I thought of cuddles who I hadn't even met before leaving. I turned back to give Fleur a last look but she responded to me by looking at me with watery eyes of hope to changing my decision.

"You may believe what you are doing is right. I am not saying it is not, because it is your life but all I can say is that we can't survive if you don't stay. "

Unfortunately, nothing could change my mind.