Chapter 3

...~...~...~...~...

It was the morning of the reaping, both Amelia and Finnick laid awake in Amelia's bed. They both had haunting nightmares early into the night and did not dare to shut their eyes again.

They laid tightly wrapped up in each other's arms with Amelia's soft blanket draped over them. They hadn't uttered a sound to each other, knowing that words cannot comfort them with the threat of inevitable death hanging over their head, a familiar feeling to the pair.

The Peace Keepers were due to be there in an hour, but they couldn't bring themselves to move, neither wanted to break the only peace they would have with each other.

Finnick was heavily worried about Amelia, he didn't want her to be sent back, he knew that even with him in there with her, he won't be able to keep them both safe, he didn't want Amelia to experience more pain because of the Games. It might break her this time.

Pushing those thoughts from his mind, Finnick moved his head to look at Amelia, whose head was resting over his heart. He drank in her fetchers, memorising them. Her perfectly shaped brows, long lashes, beautiful lips that he longed to kiss, her soft clear skin, and her warm chocolate eyes that were now looking up at him, he could see sorrow in them. What he would do to rid that look from her forever.

Finnick leaned his head down to hers and stared into her eyes, he reached up and tucked her hair behind her ear, just as he did the morning before, when everything was normal as can be. Hesitating just a bit, he finally broke the silence.

"We should get up soon, you know how the Pace Keepers get when they're impatient." Amelia nodded slowly, though didn't show any chance of moving just yet, she just wanted to stay in his arms forever.

Seeing that she wasn't going to move, Finnick decided, with much remorse, to get up first, otherwise they would both be dragged out of the house in their pyjamas.

Swinging his legs out of bed, Amelia moved off him and pulled the blanket over her head. Finnick chuckled at her resistance to her up, his soft smile turned into a mischievous smirk.

Slowly leaning over the bed, being careful not to make it dip, Finnick swiftly scooped Amelia up into his arms and threw her over his shoulder, making an over exaggerated evil laugh.

Amelia let out a small squeal before giggling softly as Finnick ran out of the room. They had an hour until the Peace Keepers get their, just one hour to pretend that their life were normal, Finnick was going to make the best of it.

When they reached the bathroom, Finnick set Amelia down, letting out a puff of air. He grinned at Amelia as he saw that she had a smile on her face.

"You're beautiful when you smile," He whispers, before leaning down and planting a kiss on her head,"Could bring the Capital to its knees with just one smile."

Amelia's face heated up at his words, he always says the sweetest things to her, always trying to make her smile, she loved that about him. Even at a moment like this, where all Amelia wanted to do was cry in a corner and hide from the rest of the world, he could still make her happy.

"Go freshen up, I'll cook breakfast." He then walked out of the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

...~...~...~...~...

After breakfast the two Victors sat in the living room for the remaining time they had left. Sadly it didn't take long until the peace keepers were banging on their door.

Finnick sucked in a deep breathing before standing up and holding a hand out to Amelia to pull her up as well, he quickly brought her into a hug and planted a kiss to her head.

"Just know that, no matter what happens from here on out, your still my most precious pearl and I won't let anything bad happen to you," Finnick whispers, moving his forehead to rest on hers, he could see that she was scared and he hated it,"I want you to know that I lov-" He was cut of by more banging and yelling at the door.

He sighed again, closing his eyes, not getting to say the words he had wanted to say since her Games, he cursed himself for not saying it sooner. He felt a smooth hand on his face, he looked back at Amelia, her face showed it all, she loved him too.

Finnick pulled away with a small smile on his lips, he grapes Amelia's hand again, giving it a soft squeeze before pulling her over to the door. Finnick took a second to put on his 'Capital Mask' , his lips tugging up into a carefree smirk as he pulled open the door.

"Now now~, no need for that, you might break the door down." He joked, walking confidently past them, pulling a reluctant Amelia, who followed closely, keeping her body hidden behind his.

The Peace Keeper quickly gathered the other woman before moving the Victors into a line, forcing Amelia to let Finnicks hand go. After the Peace Keepers were satisfied, they were pushed to move forward to the Reaping.

They slowly made their way through the streets of District 4, they couldn't move quickly because of Mags, the whole way there Annie was sobbing quietly, while Mags keep herself calm, Amelia tried to stop her hands from shaking and keep her Anxiety down, and Finnick kept his feelings inside while he strode calmly in the front, not once breaking character.

They finally reached Town Square, the people were yelling their support, and the girls were yelling their love for Finnick. District 4 were Careers after all, they might not Volunteer every year and train the kids to fight to bring Victory to their District, but they will support their Tributes and expect them to do everything they can to win.

Finnick was split from the line to head to the male side of the stage while the women were pushed to their side. Amelia waited at the bottom of the stairs until Mags reached her, she then held the old woman's hand and helped her up the stairs. Annie had already reached the top but was too scared to move any closer to the centre. When Amelia and Mags got to the top, Amelia grabbed hold of Annie's hand and slowly brought her to stand in perdition, where they waited for the Reaping to start.

"Welcome! Welcome everyone to this year's Quarter Quell! Such an exciting year, is it?!" District 4's escort Elora, spoke loudly into the microphone, though her excitement was fake. Elora was a short woman, who wore very tall heels. She always wore blue wigs and dressed in crazy jumpsuits, Amelia knew she had a sister who was also an Escort but couldn't remember for what district.

"There's no video this year! So let's get right into it then!" Her bright smile wavered at the end,"This year we'll start with the male's!" They already knew who was going to be picked.

"Finnick Odair!" Everyone clapped and cheered, Finnick was definitely a favourite in the District, they knew he could win the Games.

"Now! For the girl...." Elora spoke loudly over the cheers, not as 'cheerful' as before. She made her way to the girl's bowl, walking gracefully as ever in her 10'inch heels. She glanced up at the three poor women, one too unstable, one too old, and the other too sweet to kill anyone.

She pulled out one folded piece of paper that holds the three women's fait. She quickly makes her way back to the microphone, clearing her throat as she opens the seal, not bearing to look at it just yet, she faces the crowd.

"And the Female Tribute for this year's Quarter Quell is!" She looked down, her face dropped and her eyes filled with sadness, 'oh why her?' She thought, quickly putting a smile on her face, she announced....

"Amelia Tompkins!"

—————
(Update 2.July.22)
-1370 words-