Chapter 4.5

...~...~...~...~...

"I want you to forget everything you think you know about the games." Haymitch Abernathy, a Victor from District 12 said as he poured himself a glass of some sort of alcohol.

The two previous Victors turn Tributes of 12 sat around the table in the dining cart of the fast moving train, the scenery flying past them as they discussed this years Games.

"Last year was child's play." Haymitch continues. "This year, you're dealing with all experienced killers."

"All right. What does that mean for us?" Peeta Mellark, District 12 male Tribute, questions.

"That means you're gonna have to have some allies." The mentor answers.

"Ok. I think that if-" Peeta was cut off.

"Whoop! You're not the problem." Haymitch says while giving a pointed look to the female beside him, who was moving food around her plate, not eating. 

"No" Katniss Everdeen, 12's female Tribute, said bluntly.
Haymitch expected such an answer from the broody woman. He sighed as he sat down on a chair across the teens.

"Look," he said firmly. "You're starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years."

"That just puts us higher on their kill list." Katniss argues back.

"Do it your own way, but I know these people." Haymitch said, annoyed. "You go in alone, their first move is gonna be to hunt you down." He looked at the two "Both of you." He pointed between them.

"Katniss, come on."Peeta persuades, gesturing to Haymitch and giving her an encouraging look.

"How could any of us even trust each other?" She gives in a little. Haymitch shakes his head.

"It's not about trust," He stresses "it's about staying alive."

...~...~...~...~...

The three from District 12 had moved to the Theatre cart to watch the Reaping.

"Cashmere and Gloss." Haymitch introduces as he stands next to the holographic TV. "Brother and sister. District 1. They won back-to-back Games. Capital favorites. Lots of sponsors. They will be lethal." He lists, clicking the remote for the next Tributes. "And for the other half of the Career Pack, Brutus and Enobaria."

"What's with her teeth?" Katniss questions, her face morphed into a grimace.

"She had them filed into fangs so she could rip out people's throats." Haymitch says casually, as if it's an everyday thing.

"She committed. I'll give her that." Peeta said, impressed. Haymitch clicked to the next pair.

"Wiress and Beetee. Not fighters, but brilliant." Haymitch pace across the length of the Tv. "And weird. Real tech-savvy. He won his Games by electrocuting six Tributes at once." Click.

"The Morphlings. Masters of camouflage. Basically won their Games by hiding until everyone else was dead. Self-medicating ever since, to which I applaud. Not a threat." Click.

"Finnick Odair, right?" Katniss questions, staring at the man on screen, the cameras zoomed in as his name was picked.

"Yes. He won his Games at 14. Youngest ever. Extremely humble." Haymitch exaggerated.

"You're kidding" Katniss deadpanned.

"Yes I'm kidding! He's a peacock." Haymitch says in a higher tone, flicking his hair over his shoulder. "A total premier. But he's the Capitals darling. They love him there. Charming, smart, and very skilled at combat. Especially in water."

"What about weaknesses?" Peeta questions, leaning forward.

Haymitch sighed, clicking the remote to speed forwards to the females reaping. They watched as the tall Capital women walked across stage to the bowl of names, picking one and readed out.

"Amelia Tomkins!"

"Her" Haymitch says sadly, sitting down in a chair. The three watched as the older woman next to her tried to volunteer, but was stopped. "Finnick was her Mentor for her Games, guesses are that they got close. He's extremely protective of her. She is, without a doubt, the most loved Tribute in the Capital. Not a threat really. "

"I remember her, her Games. the 'Pain Scale' right?" Peeta questions

"Yeah" Katniss answers. Staring at the teary eyed women on screen. She reminds Katniss of her sister, small, fragile. "Her Game must have messed her up somehow, I heard that she doesn't take pain well. Something like that in the Games could get them both killed. He should know that he couldn't keep her from not getting hurt and keeping them both alive." Katniss crossed her arms.

They watched as the pair hugged, clinging to each other. 

"Well Katniss, if she does go, I hope it's quick and painless." Haymitch drowns his glass in one go. "She's a sweetheart,very kind, real gentle." he sighs before clicking the remote once more.

—————
(Update 2.July.22)
-764 words-