Chapter 6

I watched Julian slide the back door shut, his figure looking at me through the glass as he walked away. We agreed he'd need to leave at least ten to fifteen minutes before his mom was back, and, not knowing when that time would come, we didn't take any risks. I didn't know what I wanted to do for the rest of the time. I just sat on the couch and drowned myself in thoughts. It was 11:30 and I was already slipping away, trying to stay awake at least until Mrs. Gates or her husband got home. But eventually, I couldn't hold on anymore. I didn't even notice myself falling asleep. But my mind was wide awake.

I could see myself in a scene. Cameras and lights were surrounding me with a full crew manning them. I was on a couch with a cigarette, looking out a window. Tears were dropping slowly down my eyes. I felt a tingling feeling in my throat, and gave a look that seemed as if I was holding back a sob. And then I let it out. Sobbing as though I was really hurting. I could feel a pain coming from somewhere in my mind, forcing my eyes to give in. All of the sudden, I was standing on a podium, talking to a full crowd. They cheered as I stepped off, and, looking at my hand, I could see a shiny, dazzling Oscar. A smile stretched onto my face and I let out a few tears. I'd made it. I walked back to what I guess was my seat, and I say Ray right next to me. She was hugging me and crying, too. And next to her was, Julian? He looked at me with a stern look.

"You have to go," he said.

"What?"

"You have to go," he repeated. I could barely hear him over the crowd.

"Why? Go where?" This was becoming confusing.

"Go!" He yelled, and the roof broke through. Everything around me spun like a turbine. People were morphing into shadows and melting into the darkness. I took one last look at Julian's scared face before he sunk into black. And then nothing. I was nothing. I couldn't see my own hand. I didn't have any feeling. It was...surreal.

"You have to go," a voice whispered. I was terrified. I wanted to respond but I couldn't speak. I didn't have anything to speak with. The voice repeated itself, getting closer each time.

"You have to go... You have to go... You have to go..."

I could sense a presence right next to my non-existent body. I wanted to cry, but with nothing to cry with I just drowned in terror.

"Wake up," it whispered loudly, right into what was probably my ear.

My eyes blinked open. I noticed how heavy I was breathing, sweat running down my forehead. Someone turned the knob on the door. I tensed for a second. Was the door open? Then, Mrs. Gates walked in, a smug look still plastered on her face. She had tear stains and looked incredibly tired. She tried to force a smile when she saw me stand up.

"Thank you so much," she said, handing me the money, "Drive safe."

"I will," I replied, not knowing why she was acting so odd. This woman was practically bipolar. The first time I met her, she seemed cheery and optimistic. Then, Julian described her as some sort of monster. All of the sudden, she's all down and depressed and now she's just downright creepy. I opened the door and walked to my car. I spotted a shadow from the wall next to my car. I stopped moving my keys and tried to move more quietly, really wanting to just go home. The shadow moved towards the end of the wall, closer to me. I decided I'd better just get in my car. I quickly stuck the keys into my car door and opened it, hopping in as quick as possible.

"What's the rush?" Julian said, coming out of the shadows. I put my hand on my chest and took a breath of relief.

"My god! You scared me!" I said, while he silently laughed.

"Really?" He said, licking his lips, "I didn't think you were scared like that."

"Well, when I think I'm gonna get kidnapped, my heart rate goes up a few hundred beats."