Chapter 10

I looked at myself in the mirror one final time before heading downstairs. I'd decide to go with a very 80's look with an oversized sweater and short skirt. My thick curly hair would've done me pretty well in that time period. I had on a bit of blush and some brown eyeliner, just going with a natural look. My dirty, white high tops made the look a bit more casual than it had to be, but it's not like I had any other type of shoes, anyways. Just flip-flops and sneakers. I quickly ran downstairs to see my mom pulling the baked ziti out of the oven.

"Well, don't you look cute?" She said, sprinkling olive oil on top. I rushed past her to start setting the table.

"Is the food all ready?" I asked.

"Wow. Thanks for the compliment, Mom," she remarked sarcastically.

"Thank you, mom," I sighed, rolling my eyes. She chuckled lightly.

"Yes, everything's ready." Just then, Callie walked out of her room. She shot Mom a dirty look as she walked by, sporting a tight, cropped tank top and tiny shorts. I scowled as she walked by.

"Seriously?" I commented, "Does 'somewhat decent' mean anything to you?" She just plugged her ear buds in and sat in a chair, propping her feet up on the dinner table. I walked over to her and pushed them off. She looked at me angrily, her blue eyes flickering.

"I'm sorry our definition of 'somewhat decent' isn't the same," she spat. My mom, obviously aggravated walked over to her, pulling her head phones out. Callie looked up at her and glared.

"Either you change right now or you're not eating dinner tonight," she said, holding the ear bud between her fingers. After a few seconds of silence, Callie pried the ear bud from my her fingers and stormed into her room. I continued setting up the utensils and cups as my mom put the finishing touches on the meal.

"Please tell me I wasn't that difficult in 8th grade," I said, laying down napkins.

"My god, you're a blessing of a teenager," she said comically, "Literally. I have heard horror stories of teenage girls. You're probably the easiest one out there." I laughed, knowing it was true. Well, compared to my sister. "Would you check on her? Make sure she's getting ready?" I nodded and walked to my sisters door. I looked back at my mom and saw a tear roll down her cheek. I was about to go back, when I noticed what she was looking at. It was the plate at Dad's chair. We hadn't set a place for him in over a year now. I decided I'd let her be for a bit while I checked on Callie. I knocked gently on her door and said her name, but she didn't answer. After she didn't answer a second time, I walked in. She was sitting on her stool by the mirror, putting mascara on. Thank god, she'd changed into a casual, pink dress.

"Need help zipping?" I asked. She looked at me for a second.

"Sure," she finally responded. I zipped her dress to the top.

"What're you doing with your hair?" I asked. She shrugged. "You gonna put it up?" She shook her head. I looked at her in the mirror, putting on lip gloss.

"You look so much like Dad," I said quietly. She froze for a second and looked at me. A pang of sadness surged through her clear, blue eyes, but it whisked away almost immediately and was replaced by a defensive look.

"It's really odd how you never ended up looking like him," she remarked briskly, standing up. I furrowed my brows for a second, wondering what that was supposed to mean. She walked outside, as I stood there wondering where her sharp tongue came from. She'd been acting really weird like this with my mom, lately. I've wanted to mention it, but it's probably a really long grudge against my mom for taking her phone away or something. So for the hundredth time, I just brushed it off and forgot about it.