Chapter 8

Eden's POV

The door, which was unlocked, squeaked slightly as I opened it. I tiptoed quietly as I carefully shut it. All the lights were off in the house, and my mom was probably asleep. Hopefully. I dropped my bag by the door and tiptoed up the stairs. A light turned on in the far hallway and I stopped dead where I was. My mom walked out in her robe, looking disheveled like I'd just woken her up. She looked up at me and crossed her arms.

"Now, you had better have a good excuse as to why you're coming home at 1:30 on a school night," she said sternly.

"I had to babysit," I replied quickly, just wanting to go up to bed.

"And you forgot to mention this why?"

"I don't know, Mom. I wasn't thinking."

"Sweetie, look. I know you're lying and I won't get mad, I promise, if you just tell me. Because the fact that the school had to call me because you missed everyone of your classes scares me. I was freaked out last night. I didn't call the police because I didn't think you'd get yourself into a type of situation that I'd need to. I was more scared for you than I've been in my life. Just tell me, please," she said, a hint of sadness in her voice. I sat down on the stairs and she came over and sat down with me.

"I took the day off," I began. She clenched her jaw. "You're not getting mad, are you?"

"Of course not," she replied, "Continue."

"I went into the city for the day with Julian and we just pretty much did everything in the city you could accomplish in a day. We went up to the tower we walked all the way around the north side, we had lunch and dinner and it was just...great," I noticed myself looking at the wall with a half-smile on my face.

"Wait, who's this Julian?" She asked worried.

"Oh, I think I'm dating him," I responded nonchalantly. Her jaw dropped slightly and she looked at me curiously.

"Didn't you just break up with Martin?"

"Yeah, but this is different. Much different," I replied.

"Well then, I'd like to meet Julian."

"Ok, sometime. Can I go to bed now?"

"Of course, sweetie," she leaned over and held me head, giving me a big kiss on the forehead, "I'm just so glad you're safe." I smiled and stood up. She walked down to her bedroom and turned the hallway light off.

"Good night, mom," I said.

"Night, sweetie," she said before closing her door.

I flopped onto my bed and laid there, thinking about my day. Kissing on the Sear's Tower, practically on top of the world. Holding hands while walking down the sidewalk and walking into random shops. Eating burgers. He put his pickles in my hand and then closed his hand on mine. He doesn't like pickles. We had a great dinner at this pizza place, where we met back up with Ray and Tyler. We talked a lot, had great conversations. Tyler was hilarious and was actually set up for a soccer scholarship at the University of Chicago. He's not the usual pick up of Ray. He's smart, too. It almost felt like a double date. I remember falling asleep in Julian's lap on the way back. He just laid his hand on my back and went to sleep himself. I hoped he got into his house. I decided I'd call him really quick just to make sure he got in. I pulled my phone out and found his number. It rang a few times, but he eventually picked up.

"Yo, who is this?"

"What?" I said, wondering what that was.

"Oh, Eden?"

"Yeah, just wanted to make sure you're mom let you in,"

"Oh, yeah. I guess one day was enough of a punishment," he said, laughing.

"That's good. I'm gonna go to bed now. I was just making sure."

"Well, thank you for making sure. You got in okay, right?"

"Yeah."

"Good. Well, g'night beautiful."

"Good night, handsome," I responded, a smile on my face. I put the phone on my bed table and just looked at the ceiling, wishing he could be with me again, just in case I had that dream. But, as I went to sleep, I imagined his arms around me. His imaginary presence seemed to put me to sleep pretty well. I wouldn't mind admitting he was in my dreams that night.