BASIC TRAINING

SHE felt numb everywhere. 

    Evaluation notebook? Her dark brows scrunched in confusion. And here I thought it was just a small journal, or diary.

    Sophie's hand went to grasp the doorknob to her living quarters when she shook her head to rid herself of those thoughts. The day was beginning to collapse unpleasantly on her, and it was only lunch time. 

    With the newfound information, all the youngster desired to do was curl up in her blanket on her bed and hide from the world for the years to come. But her hope of doing nothing soon came to an abrupt halt as the blaring sound of her cell phone rang out to her. She blindly reached for the cellular device in her back pocket of her black jeans and used the back of her sneaker to lightly slam the door.

    "Hello." Her voice was barely audible, and her mind was in a deep fog, somewhere else entirely. She was in a strange trance as she looked straight ahead of herself.

    "How good are you in combat?" 

    Sophie blinked out of the quietness and swept herself back into reality at the gruff male's voice. "Um, what? And is this Fury?" she asked, taking the phone away from her ear to peek at who the caller was, which she failed to check before picking up.

    Placing her cell phone back to her ear, she caught a slight sigh on the other end before the director of SHIELD quickly repeated his question. "How good are you in combat? Are you good when it comes to defending yourself and others?"

    Where on earth is this coming from?

    Sophie wanted to demand, as the wheels began to spin in her head—figuring out what brought this kind of behavior on the director. She bent her knees and slid down the side of her door, making a spot on the ground her seat and leaning her back against the solid wood. 

    "At the Professor's school, he did show his students how to defend themselves, but I found it was just the basics. You know, testing out your ability, how to control it—never how to harm someone with it."

    "That's what you call basic training?" Sophie could imagine his dark brows raised in disbelief.

    A corner of her lip twitched to the ceiling in bemusement. "What?" She spoke with a tiny hint of a chuckle in her tone.

    "I know you didn't get away from the Avengers, but you nearly did, so I'm thinking it wasn't just basic training that was being taught at the school."

    She rolled her eyes and that natural bored frown was at home on her face again. "I'm pretty sure you can call up the Professor and ask to look into the school's records, see for yourself what kind of training they gave us. There you'd also find the school's daily routines, and the students schedules for the week. Why are you asking me this?"

    She thought this whole conversation truly pointless, and was beginning to get irritated because of it. Why phone and ask her these petty questions when Fury, being the director, had the resources to get all his information with but an order to one of his agents, and a single phone call to the School for Gifted Youngsters.   

    There was triumph in the director's next words as he said, "I did speak with the Professor a few minutes ago, actually." Sensing he wasn't finished, Sophie waited for him to carry on after his slight pause; resisting the urge to bang her hand against the wall beside herself at the same time. "He gave me what I needed to know."

    "He actually handed some of the school's information out to SHIELD?"

    "After I asked nicely."