SHORT PEOPLE WITH SHORT TEMPERS

"YOU both are idiots. Why didn't you just go in?" Audrey asked, and released Natasha's wrist while she slammed the door.

     "Because." Audrey watched as the second woman scrutinized the room. "Clint needs this. He needs to be the one Sophie first sees. He's the only one who can get close to her."

     The English lady's dark eyebrows mildly heaved in shock. The Black Widow had a point there, so no further questions were asked, or answered.

     Steam rose up from the shower and down into the room. The warm moister stuck to their cheeks, and any other exposed skin. Audrey was the first to move through the thick vapor, and gravitated towards the bathtub.

     The other Avenger took it upon herself to find something to cover Sophie in. Natasha went straight for the cabinet beside the sink, and after rummaging through its compartments, she sought out a large green towel. 

     As Audrey vaguely paid attention to what her friend was doing, she paused her hand inches from the tub's curtain. Please be here, she prayed. She slowly peeled away the curtain to reveal the young one naked, and curled into a fetal position at the end of the tub. The water from the shower head rained down on her. 

     Joy flooded Audrey's heart. She breathed with a weary smile attached to her face. Natasha was suddenly right by her side, towel in her hands, and appeared to be shocked yet relieved to see Sophie.

     The two woman worked in a quick session to collect the teenager. Audrey shut off the water as Natasha wrapped the piece of material around Sophie like a blanket. "Hey boneheads!" Audrey shouted, standing up in the wet tub, "get your chicken butts in here!"

     The door suddenly sprang open, and Audrey wasn't surprised to see Clint walk through first. "What's wrong?" he asked. He took in Audrey who stood in a tub, a frown on her face, and Natasha hunched over a petite body covered in a green towel. 

     When the man's eyes landed on Sophie, his face sank, and his shoulder's released the obvious tension he held in them, as his arms slacked at his sides. Audrey's frown soon changed to pity as she carefully observed Clint. 

     In that split second, the Englishwoman imagined herself going slightly insane if anything were to happen to anyone of these individuals who she loved, and who were more than dear to her. The thought of their unexpected disappearance, or death, punctured a knife wound to her heart.

     As if she swatted away those unthinkable thoughts, her face schooled into neutrality. She stepped out of the tub ambling over to him, and lightly told, "We need someone to carry her to her bed."

     "Is she alright?" he rushed to ask, going straight to assume the worst.

     The middle of Audrey's forehead bunched irritably. "No, but she needs to get out of the tub, and into some dry clothes." She wanted to smack some sense back into the hero. He needed to calm down, and his worrisome demeanor was provoking the dickens right out of Audrey. She loved Clint, but her temper was as short as she was. And it hadn't helped that her patience was as thin as paper either.

     Clint's eyes finally tore away from Sophie, and looked down at Audrey. She was only a few inches shorter then him. Gradually, she saw him nod his head, swallow, and watched as his Adam's apple bobbed.

     She would have carried Sophie herself, the little one weighed less than she, but somehow she felt as though this wasn't her place to step in and take over.  

     In one easy sweep, Sophie was in Clint's arms. She stirred a little, and only looked up once to see who held her. When she knew who it was, either she didn't care or perhaps she was too exhausted to complain, she merely set her head back on his shoulder, closed her eyes, and resumed to be mute.

     Natasha and Audrey silently followed Clint out of the bathroom; Natasha being the last one out, had turned off the light and shut the door. Everyone's attention flew to Clint and Sophie in his arms. They watched as she was lowered to her bed, when he gently laid her down.

     A few moments of deathly stillness grasped the room. The only sounds that distracted the silence, was the city outside, which kept everyone aware of their location. Finally, Audrey cut into that quietness, and stood on the opposite side of the bed from Clint.

     "Alright," she began, "you've all gawked enough. It's time Sophie changes into more suitable clothing. I'll get her into some warm clothes." Her eyes traveled to where the young adult laid on her bed. "She needs to rest." Her voice low, and eyes distant as she stared at the young one. "I'll call if I need any help."

     "Call as soon as you're done."

     Her eyes flickered to life as they lifted up towards Clint. "I will."