WHAT HAPPENS AFTER DEATH?

"SO what do I owe the pleasure of your presence?"

"Actually," Sophie said, "I owe you the pleasure of."

"Oh?" The Englishwoman's eyebrow arched as she paused midway to set two dirty mugs in the sink. "And what's that?"

Seated at the kitchen island, her legs dangled from the black bar stool, as she occasionally squeezed her hands that were neatly mingled together. "I owe you a thanks."

"For what chap?"

She watched as Audrey placed the two mugs in the sink, and as Sophie took in a breath, she braced herself for a gooey moment. Classic, sympathetic moments were not her thing, nor were apologies her style; she'd prefer they'd quickly be dealt with and over. "Thanks for just being there for me. For having to put up with my grumpy ass, and my cloudy attitude. I wasn't expecting," she paused, her eyes lingered on the tabletop, "to make any friends as I was here."

She paused again, in a daze, then resumed, "My mind was set on finding my parents, and if that meant taking out whoever got in the way, then so be it." Her eyes drifted up to Audrey, who watched the young one intently, an honesty and innocence sparked within Sophie's emerald eyes.

"But meeting you," she said, continuing. "It was like...like you made me think clearer by never showing the same hostility back as everyone else tended to do, other than Clint, when I broke out in my frustration." She breathed, her bottom lip slightly wobbled near the end, but Sophie curled her lips inward, stubborn not to let the tremble be known. "And I know you were the one, who changed me that day I came back from the mission with the Avengers—"

"I promise mate, I didn't see anything. I had the towel wrapped around you the entire time I slipped the t-shirt over you, and your underwear, I had to go under the towel, but kept my eyes closed." Audrey said, feeling quite compelled to justify how she exchanged a bathroom towel on her, into some clothes.

Sophie laughed, shyly looking away. "I don't really care, nor need a detailed explanation as to how you changed me. We both have the same female parts. I just came here to say, thank you," she explained, and having enough courage to look the older woman in the eyes, she repeated, "Thank you Audrey."

Leaning her back against the rime of the sink, arms crisscrossing in front of her chest, Audrey had a thoughtful appearance glow in and around her. The woman's skin practically had a luminescence that dripped from every part of her limbs, or perhaps that deep caramel color was her actual skin type. Sophie wasn't absolute from one to the other.

"Well to be honest, I didn't know what I was doing." She laughed, eyes in a daze as they stared at the floor. "But I'm glad my kindness touched something within you." She blinked as she glanced up at Sophie, and smiled crookedly as she said, "You're welcome."

"You know," Sophie began, "I think you're going to make a great mother some day." Audrey laughed bitterly, as if to say oh please, through the chuckle. "No, I really mean it—and speaking of children, so you and Captain America, huh?"

"How is that speaking of children, unless you're implying that he's a child?" she asked, and realized she had been rather too quick to jump to the defense. Sophie recognized how she served from her question too.

"I take it that's a yes. So then," Sophie said continuing, eagerly and evilly rubbing her hands together. "When's the wedding?"

Audrey figured if she were sipping tea at this very moment, the tea in her mouth would connect to the floor. Even though the woman felt embarrassed, and worse, her cheeks were beginning to heat up, she couldn't help but chuckle and answer Sophie's prying inquires about her love life. "You my dear, are bothersome."