once

footsteps.

that was all you heard.

heavy footsteps of your own.

along with the pacing of your heartbeat.

the things that aren't normally heard or noticed but somehow you could hear it all at once—slowly, very slowly, it was all echoing through your mind.

you raised your head up, feeling the light wind blowing through your hair. the blanket of stars pleasing your eyesight, but the smile on your face refused to show itself. your heart felt heavy, seeing how the things that were meant to make you happy were now breaking you apart. each and every memory that lingered at the back of your brain were all slowly invading your whole entire mind, possessing each and every action of your muscles, to wherever your mind decides to bring you— you just let it take over.

why you out of all people? why did it have to be you? what was something so wrong about you that god just can't seem to bless you with eternal happiness?

you looked up to the sight of the moon and stars— the only ones illuminating the dull streets.

the lighted droplets surrounded the moon evenly, but as you took each step, the stars started to move along with you.

your pace quickened with every step, feeling the tears slowly blinding your vision of the indigo sky.

and before you even know it—your arms were flailing up in the air, incoherent screams leaving your mouth as tears came rushing out of your eyes, evaporating away and into the night breeze.

you were running fast.

you ran faster and faster with your hand stretching out and up to the sky, trying all you can to reach the stars.

but the stars only moved further away from you.

but you still ran, even if your heart was already hurting so much—even if your legs couldn't carry your weight any further—

even if you knew it was hopeless.

you fell to the ground, as you stared up at the sky once more, seeing the lone moon shining down on you brightly, but the lighted droplets that once surrounded it were no where to be found.

your face fell on your palms, as tears came crashing down.

you soon realized the infinite number of stars that spread along the indigo sky were always there, but just not by your side.

no matter how fast or how far you ran, they would still be out of your reach—and unfortunately, that was the reality for you.

perhaps the stars were never there at all—like an illusion, they played with your head.

no matter how much you tried to reach baekhyun, he was beyond reach. he would always be there, but not by your side. or maybe he never was there, just like the stars— he was an illusion.

life always had its own ways of bringing people together no matter how hard it seemed. but sadly not all those who are brought together are meant to be together.

perhaps you never did belong to each other. perhaps you never had a thing—or anything, for that matter.

perhaps the love you had for each other wasn't there at all, the spark the both of you thought you ignited had been long dead, like the stars you see in the night sky— aren't they already dead?

but what about the moon?

although it remained, there wasn't any difference.

it'd be gone by day too, anyway.