Chapter One

“Hey Sam!” I shouted after my best friend. He turned and flicked his blonde hair out of his face.

“What?” He asked, stopping to make sure that I caught up with his long strides. I soon caught up and puffed out a piece of black out of my face, I knew my checks had heated up and I was out of breath.

“Jesus Christ dude! What’s the rush?”

“Nothin’ at all darling but it’s pizza day at the canteen and I wanna grab the best ones!” He replied cheekily, bumping my shoulders with his. His country twang that he tried so hard to conceal came out and drew out some of the syllabus of his words.

I gave him a look. “Is that all you think about? Bloody food, I could have been dying on the damn floor and you wouldn't have even known!” I huffed indignantly.

Instantly knowing I was joking, Sam gave a huff of laughter and swung his arm until it rested on my shoulders. Giving me a squeeze, he kept it there.

“But seriously, did you understand a word of Mr. Huble's lecture?” I asked. “ I mean how can one man be so passionate about teaching the history of the microscope?!"

“He needs to get laid,”

I gasped, “Sam! Don’t talk like that when a lady is presence!” I punched him lightly on his side.

“What! Where? I don’t see no lady!”

“Your such an asshole,” I said cracking an affectionate smile.

“And you’re a bitch,” he replied with a chuckle.

Swinging the canteen doors wide-open Sam untangled his arm off my shoulder. “See ya in a second babe,” He gave me a lingering look and raced to the lunch order line.

Making a beeline straight to our table close to one of the big windows that overlooked the tennis court. I quickly sat down and took out a sandwich from my backpack.

Sometimes I didn’t understand our relationship. Sometimes we seemed more like a couple than just friends. And during the recent months I had began to notice things about Sam that I knew I shouldn’t. Like, how his blue eyes sparkled, the way his tee shirt hugged his torso, his willingness to try new things and his intelligence and kindness.

I was just so confused, one minute were both joking and laughing around, the next there this weird energy in the air that makes me want to blurt out all these new emotions to him.

I wanted to tell him these feelings that I feel and sometimes I see that he has these feelings too. But something’s holding him back and he retreats into himself almost as if something big is holding him back.