Chapter 8

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." —Martin Luther King Jr.

Chapter 8

"So are we meeting her or what?" Bethany questioned Sarah. She figured she should meet the girl and get this over with. She wasn't too worried about a new girl. Maybe they could be friends. Or maybe she could be a total bitch. Really, it could go either way.

Sarah nodded a little too hardly. "Yes. Yes. Let's do that."

Bethany rolled her eyes and sighed heavily. She hated dealing with drunk people. Beth was grabbed by the elbow and was almost dragged back inside the house.

"That's her," Sarah pointed at a tall girl with brown hair that was up in a high ponytail. Her skin was the most beautiful brown shade, her skin care routine had to be perfected for her to look that good. She was wearing a tiny, white floral dress with strap heels that reached a little above her ankles.

"She's gonna be a cheerleader." Beth blurted out.

"YOU WANT HER ON OUR SQUAD?!" Sarah screeched.

"Sarah," Bethany put her hands on her hyperventilating friends shoulders to try and calm her down. "We're short a girl ever since Lena got pregnant. She's kind of useless now, and will be for seven more months." Shaking her best friend slightly, she glanced at the new girl. "Plus, there's only like a month and a half left of school, she'll be more of a sub if you really think about it."

Sarah rolled her eyes, knowing she was probably right. "Her name is Evana."

Bethany laughed. "You are so creepy."

"I know."

Turning her back on Sarah, Beth walked over to Evana. "Hi!" She charmingly said. 

Evana looked confused for a second. "Hi?" She smiled.

Good, okay. She looks nice, Bethany voiced in her head.

"I couldn't help but notice that Mr. Creepy was trying to hit on you." Bethany remarked, glancing at Kris Waters. The biggest playboy in town, maybe the whole world. He's pretty much slept with whole high school minus ten girls, and almost all their moms as well.

"Yeah," she laughed awkwardly. "Thanks for coming over here and saving me. I'm Evana."

"I'm Bethany." They shook hands. "And I'm going to come off super blunt but...you look like you got potential and Belltown High is short a cheerleader. It's a small town. We've already seen what the three hundred other girls at our school can do. And the three hundred boys are too 'masculine' or still in the closet." Bethany paused before asking, "so, I was wondering if you would wanna join the squad?"

"You're cheer captain aren't you?" Evana questioned, almost mockingly but not quite.

"Yeah," Bethany answered with a strained smile. "And I'm desperate. The whole squad is."

"Look," Evana began, making Bethany nervous. "I'm flattered, truly, but I don't know if I'm any good at cheering."

"Oh," Beth grinned. "That's no problem. All you really gotta do anyway is shake some pom-poms around on your tiptoes."

"What?" Evana laughed.

"I'm joking. Sort of."

"Okay," she giggled. "I'll take your proposition into consideration and I'll answer you on Monday. Deal?"

"Deal!" Bethany said excitedly.

"How will I find you?"

"It's a small school, you'll find me."