Chapter 17

"I guess I always felt even if the world came to an end, McDonald's would still be open." —Susan Beth Pfeffer, Life As We Knew It (The Last Survivors, #1).

Chapter 17

Sarah had not stopped the crude remarks about Bethany. But Beth didn't care. She had made friends that she knew would last a lifetime. Even if she did, somehow, make it out of stupid BellTown. It was a weird relationship she had with the town. Sometimes she loved how small it was, and at other times she absolutely hated it.

"Why didn't you tell us you had your own personal bully at school?" Her mother had asked.

To which Bethany replied, "because the bully used to be my closest friend. And I hate that I still care about what happens to her. Alright? That's why I haven't reported her."

But, Bethany had filled Sarah's locker with distugstingly poop-green slime—and not the aesthetic kind, but the gross slimy one that was ever so difficult to take off of your skin. Beth even proceeded to add the classic white feathers. Sarah was forced to throw all her books to the garbage since they weren't cleanable. Sarah had a book fine of about three-hundred dollars. The poor girl probably hadn't even opened the books more than twice. Oddly enough, none of that made Beth feel any better. What did though, was the fact that her squad had become so good that when Sarah 'accidently' walked into the gym during practice, she left crying because of how good they were. Bethany was upset when she realized it was the end of the school year and she wouldn't see her friends as often.

She would still see them a lot, she knew that. BellTown's only teenage hang-out place was the plaza. And everyone from school went there during summer. Also, some of her classmates threw killer parties when school was over, mostly because plenty of parents leave for a two-person vacation. She loved summer.

"You have to report her," Mrs. Harlow sternly demanded.

"No, mom. I did some pretty messed up things to her too. She can't go down without taking me with her."

Her mother groaned, irritated and seething. "God, Bethany. Why are you always keeping things from me? You know better! Okay? You can't go your whole life lying to me, understood? I am your mother, for crying out loud!"

"So what, Mom?!" Beth spoke. She wasn't sure if she'd regret it but at the time she didn't care either. She was exhausted of Sarah's games and she wanted some peace of mind for just one second. Something her mother never seemed to be able to give her.

"What did you just say to me?" Mrs. Harlow became agitated and wished her husband were there. He always seemed to understand Bethany better.

"So what if I keep things from you?! You have lied to me my whole life!" She yelled. "You knew about our families background, don't lie to me." Joey had never confirmed if their mother knew about their grandparents beacause he didn't know, but somehow, Bethany did. "I had a right to know! Especially if your generation was skipped because that was a garantee that mine wasn't." Her mother did not play dumb, though she was very much considering it. "I don't think it's fair that I found out through Joe."

"Joey knows?" Mrs. Harlow clutched at the fabric above her chest. It was like the perfectly constructed world she had created was falling apart. "Bethany, most psychics show signs at the age of eight, nine, and ten. Joey showed none. You showed none. Neither did Adelaide. Please, you have to believe that I would have told you if you had showed signs." None of her children had imaginary friends, smelled things that weren't there. or prevented vases from falling because they knew ahead of time that they would. They were normal, sane. And more than twenty vases had broken over the course of time. How could she have forseen this? The magic had skipped Mrs. Harlow and her brother, she had no psychic powers. She figured the magic was wearing out and there wasn't enough to reach her children, that was what she had prayed for anyway.