Chapter 50

Song: WORST IN ME by JULIA MICHAELS

"And maybe it's the worst in me
That's bringing out the worst in you
I know we can fix these kinks
But the worst in me doesn't want to work on things
But the best of me wants to love you
But the worst in me doesn't want to." — Julia Michaels, Worst in Me.

Chapter 50

Mrs. Harlow was binge watching Adelaide's favorite show with her, I Love Lucy. They were waiting for Zach and Bethany to finish up making a late dinner. It was eight twelve P.M. The claiming hour was midnight. Bethany didn't have much time. They were all really just sitting ducks, they couldn't do anything. Except wait.

Bethany was about done with the chicken and rice skillets but she decided to let everything cool before calling the family for dinner.

Knowing better, Zach asked, "how are you feeling?"

Beth scoffed. "Well, I was fine before yesterday. Abigor really decided to take things up a notch. I can actually feel the evil grow inside of me now. And I'm terrified of how powerful I feel, stronger even."

"You're going to be fine," Zach hoped. But his hoping was what triggered Bethany to a whole new level of crazy.

"NO! I WON'T!" She yelled.

Cautiously, Zach neared towards her. But he was pushed away, and hard. Hard enough for it to feel like being shoved by ten buff gang members. He didn't recall stumbling backwards because Bethany had used magic to push him away on a speedy glide. "What the hell, Bethany?!" His back had made contact with cabinets and his head had collided harshly against them as well. But he recollected himself rather quickly.

"We've done everything already. We've tried searching your brain and there's nothing in there that we don't already know! I can feel the blood in my veins turn black! I'm not getting any fucking better, Zachary."

"You will," Zach did his best not to explode. He had plenty of bottled up feelings and if any of them were to escape, a fiasco would occur.

"God, don't you get it?! I'll be a total different person tomorrow. Do you not understand that?"

Mrs. Harlow was listening in on the conversation. She knew they were yelling, but she also knew from experience that yelling could be therapeutic. So long as it didn't get physical. And she knew Zach, it wouldn't. But Bethany on the other hand—she was particularly dangerous.

"Ha!" Bethany scoffed. "You don't get it. Not at all. There is someone else inside of my brain and it's telling me to do awful things—I like doing those awful things!" Beth had never fully admitted that, and it felt oddly satisfying to be so crystal clear.

"No, Bethany—Abigor is the one making you think you like to hurt people. It's not really you." Zach tried to rationalize.

"No." Was all Bethany said.

Zach sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "Really? So, what? You're and evil psycho-bitch who doesn't care whether or not she kills? Oh, wait. Let's not forget you're also an actual fucking witch!"

Bethany stared at him as he insulted her, weirdly liking that he was finally seeing things for their true colors. "Exactly."

"Yeah, well maybe if you cared enough to try and get better then you would!" He yelled, irritated. He was done with all the excuses Bethany was creating to try and keep from recuperating.

She scoffed. "What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

Zach's jaw tightened. "It means that you're not fighting. You only pretend to, but you don't really because deep down inside of you, you want to turn dark."