Chapter 21

"Welcome to the real world. It sucks. You're gonna love it!" — Monica in F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

Chapter 21

As promised, Saturday morning Zach had made pancakes. "I might have to start charging for these," Zach bantered.

"I'd pay anything." Joe said.

"Joey, did Mom and Dad never teach you to not speak with a mouthful?" Bethany complained.

Zach always seemed to turn his head when Bethany spoke. She caught on this time and their eyes met. He smirked at her, recalling last nights events. Her cheeks blushed a pale pink.

"Wisdom me, Zach." Joe said, out of no where.

Zach chuckled, it was something they did a long time ago. Joey would say those words and then Zach would tell him a random fact. "A small child could swim through the veins of a blue whale."

"Woah." Joe said.

"So what are we doing today?" Adelaide asked, cheerfully. She was in an oddly good mood. "We should have like a psychic boot camp!" At the realization of what she had said, her mouth went agape. She still believed Zach had no clue about the families abilities.

Though Zach already knew, Bethany freaked out. "Adelaide! Are you kidding me? Is it so hard to keep a secret? Joe—" she called after her brother for aid in scolding.

He was angry too. "A, are we seriously going to have to keep you locked in this house forever? You need to be careful when you talk about that stuff."

What if it wasn't Zachary who was in the house with them? Adelaide would have just revealed their biggest secret yet.

"I'm sorry!" Adelaide apologized. She turned to Zach, "I was joking. We're not really psychics. I'm just stupid and—"

Bethany cut her off. "He already knows." There was no use in hiding it. And it was very incredibly dumb that Adelaide tried to convince him otherwise.

"He what?" Adelaide screeched. "Well now look who's bad at keeping secrets." She scoffed. "Just because you're dating the guy doesn't mean you should have told him. Would you have told Mason? Whatever happened to him, huh? Oh, no. Did you tell him too? Did he get scared away? Or did you're personality take care of that?" She was clearly angry that her siblings were making her feel bad for no reason. Or so she thought.

"Shut up, Adelaide." Bethany said, threateningly.

"Who's Mason?" Zach asked. He meant to do so mentally or quietly at least, but he blurted it out. At least it made the table go silent. No more screaming.

"He's no one." Bethany coldly said. She scooted her chair back and stood up to leave. "Enjoy you're breakfast, brat." There was an enormously fake smile that displayed on her face.

Bethany was gone, and Joey softly said, "I don't think I'm quite full yet. Do you mind making some more pancakes, Zach?" His attempts to less the awkwardness failing.

"Sure, if you tell me who Mason is." He was fiercely curious now. And whoever Mason was, he seemed to be a bad conversations topic. For a reason, there had to be a reason involving Bethany and he wanted to know what it was.

"On second thought, I'm pretty full." Joey said. He was getting ready to leave before he turned back, sighing. "It's not my story to tell, Zach. Sorry, man. You should go talk to her yourself."

Adelaide hated how much attention Joe paid to Bethany. They weren't regular siblings, they acted like twins. And Adelaide despised feeling left out. "It's her boyfriend." She said, purposefully trying to get a reaction out of Zachary.