Chapter 38

This is a really informative chapter so brace yourselves to be knowledge-fied.

"In the beginning there was nothing. God said, 'Let there be light!' And there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole lot better." —Ellen DeGeneres.

Chapter 38

"Grandma, what I need from you is an explanation. Why was he so eager on killing specifically a Harlow psychic?"

Bethany frowned at her grandmother. She knew in her heart that it had something to do with the morals of the past Harlow's and how some of them probably weren't good people. She just hoped she wasn't like that. "Grandma, I—I freaked out when I saw what he was doing to Adelaide."

"Well that's understandable, dear. She's your little sister." Maggie tried to console because she had a feeling Bethany wasn't done talking and it would only get worse.

"Yeah, but—I almost killed him. And I don't think I would've cared if I had, because in those few minutes I wasn't me. Or maybe I was, maybe deep down inside I'm a horrible person and I just put on a facade to pretend otherwise. I don't know, Grandma. But I'm scared."

Maggie wrapped her arms around her granddaughter. "Oh, it's okay, child. You'll be okay." Though as she said those words, her heart ached. She was startled and she didn't want the Harlow's ancestry returning and cursing itself upon Bethany.

A single tear escaped Bethany and she had to pull apart from Maggie. "Why did that happen to me? I know you know."

Sighing, Grandma Maggie went on to explain. "The reason the Harlow's are cursed and magic skips a generation, is because the energies of the witch who cursed us were so low he couldn't gather all the magic needed to curse all the Harlow's. A psychic was torturing him and made him weak, so it was an accident that the curse only caused skips of our magic instead of erasing all of it from us Harlow's. Though, I always thought maybe it was better gone entirely." She placed her hands above Bethany's and gave her a weak smile. "We were mischievous psychics in the past, love. Magic was practiced more often before, and the Harlow's loved the power of knowing the future and being able to dig into people's minds. So much so that they were misguided into believing power was all that mattered, they forgot that their abilities were given to be of aid, and to help people heal emotionally."

"When they forgot altogether, they became dark. And dark psychics are the one's with least control of their magic. So, more often than not, they uncovered witch-like magic from within themselves. Psychics are similar to witches in a few ways, and a lot of psychics turn out to be half-and-half, but the bad thing is that that only ever happens when the dark side decides to take them in. And—sorry honey, I was reading your thoughts—you think you did something only a witch could?"

Bethany froze. "I—I don't know."

"Please, dear . . ."

"I think—I think I might've done some kind of magic that wasn't psychic. But—," Bethany sighed. "I don't know."

"Tell me what happened."

Looking away, Beth stared at the nicely decorated guess bedroom. Her mother had always been a great decorist. "Right after I had played painful mind games on him, I choked him. But I wasn't even touching him. It was like my hand had all this force and magic in it that clearly wasn't good, but I used it anyway. He was gasping for air and clawing at his neck, trying to remove hands that weren't there. I just pictured him being deprived of air and—it happened." The second Bethany said those words she felt something cold rush up her spine.