Chapter 40

"Chemistry can be a good and bad thing. Chemistry is good when you make love with it. Chemistry is bad when you make crack with it." —Adam Sandler.

Chapter 40

Bethany laid in her bed, exhausted. Both physically and emotionally. Her new, thick black curtains were pulled shut and there was absolutely no light peeking into her bedroom. Her violet colored walls didn't even appear to be colored and looked a dark shards of grey instead.

She was home alone except for Joey and Zach. Everyone left to the newly built movie theatre right before the plaza—after Bethany practically protested for them to go. And they did, after multiple hesitant moments. Her brother and boyfriend were stubborn so they both decided to stay. But she became easily disturbed when they tried to take care of her at every single second—they thought she would do something stupid—so she kicked them out of her bedroom and sent them as far as they would go, the living room downstairs.

Next to her, she had rehydration drinks because besides refusing to eat, she also refused to drink anything. Including pennyroyal tea. She was too tired for all of it. And her family was worried so they tried to offer her the little vitamins and nutrients she would take from the rehydration drinks. Every once in awhile, to please the people she would drink it. But not when she was alone. Not if she wasn't forced to.

After a few silent moments, Beth's head began hurting. And her room seemed to be getting smaller, as if shrinking in size. Bethany blinked a few times to try and focus her eyesight. No, it was still narrowing. She crawled out of her bed and miraculously reached her bathroom. She pulled herself up and stood in front of the mirror.

She gasped at her reflection—she had lost nearly all the color on her skin, her hair was a mess, her lips were cracked and the bags of her eyes were dark. Her head gave one sharp pain and she pressed on the sides of her head. Her ears began ringing and suddenly she forgot how to breathe. It was uneven. It was faster than it should be. And it didn't feel like she was getting oxygen at all. She was having a panic attack—or so she thought.

Appalled, she continued to dizzily stare at her reflection. But she didn't recognize it. It wasn't her. It couldn't be. It was a totally different person. And she knew that because her reflection was male. He was freakishly tall and had white hair. But he wasn't old, he was young. And he wore the creepiest smile anyone could ever wear. His clothes were all black and made his skin look almost transparent in comparison.

Lord Abigor. She didn't know how she knew his name, but she did.

Extending her hand towards the mirror, she felt in sync with the demons blood flow. Feeling their energies merge, she wasn't afraid. Her bathroom lights flickered off and then back on. When she faced Lord Abigor again his deep-black eyes were bleeding and the wet red substance was rushing down his cheeks. Yet he still carried a sinister look, adding on to the staggeringly frightening energies that ran all throughout Bethany's body.

She screamed, as loud as her lungs would allow and tumbled backwards into her bathtub, taking the shower curtains down with her. And somehow, she had accidentally turned the water on, freezing cold.

Joey was the first to run upstairs, he reached his sister in a matter of seconds after he heard her yell. She had sat up and curled up, hugging her knees and was rocking back and forth. Her face was whiter than before and she was shaking. Instead of attempting to move her and scare her, Joe stepped inside the bathtub fully clothed and sat besides his sister, shivering when he was under the running water. Both of their hair damp in seconds.

"You're okay," he whispered, not wanting to question her about what had happened. He wrapped his arms around her and caressed her arm. "You're okay."