Chapter 23

Play song clipped above when you see this [***] further in the chapter.

Song: LET ME LOVE THE LONELY by JAMES ARTHUR.

"It's not easy having a good time! Even smiling makes my face ache!" — Frank, from The Rocky Horror Picture Show, movie.

Chapter 23

"It's alright, Beth. You guys took me in long enough, I can find some other place to stay." Zach didn't want to make Grandma Maggie uncomfortable. So, he offered to leave the house.

"What do you mean the Harlow's never got along with witches?" Joe asked, honestly beginning to get angry with his grandmother.

Their grandmother sighed. "The reason our magic skips a generation is because a witch cursed our family. He fell in love with a Harlow psychic. And when his feelings weren't reciprocated, he got angry. And cursed her future children. They didn't have the privilege of practicing magic." Grandma Maggie was staring at Zach. "He thought he had cursed them to never be able to use magic, but he messed up. That's why the Harlow psychic magic always skips a generation."

Bethany, Joe, and Adelaide stared at each other. Then they turned to look at Zach. "He's not like that." They all said, unanimously.

"And were not letting him leave, he has no where else to go." Bethany's hands were shaky. She almost never stood up to her parents because they were just that great. They always did whatever was best. But kicking Zach out wasn't what was best.

Please, Grandma Maggie. Bethany thought.

Her grandmothers eyes widened. Darling, I can hear you in my brain.

Only thanks to Zach. He's been helping us understand our magic, and he's really good at it, too. Beth, to be truthful, was no where close to getting used to the fact that she could talk to people through their brains.

Maggie narrowed her eyes at her granddaughter. You like him don't you, dear.

Bethany scoffed aloud, stiffly. We're just friends, Grandma.

That doesn't answer my question, Bethany. She sighed a heavy sigh and looked Zach directly in the eyes. "You're allowed to stay, but we're taking the guest room." She sassily walked upstairs with her husband besides her.

You ought to be nicer to the boy, Grandpa Greg telepathically communicated with his wife.

Greg, stop telling me what to do you old bastard. She took his hand to help her up the long stairs. I love you.

I love you too, old hag. Their hollow laughter echoed inside their brains.

As hard as she tried not to, Bethany giggled. She didn't say why because she believed it invasive to listen to others conversation. Especially if they weren't even verbal.

"So, he's staying?" Adelaide had grown to like Zach. He sometimes stared at Bethany too much, but it wasn't bothering her too much nowadays.

"He can sleep in the treehouse, there's a couch there." Joe was trying to help Zach. He had already let him down once, allowing Zach's idiotic father to admit him into an asylum.

The parents glanced at their three children. Giving in, Mrs. Harlow asked, "are you okay with the treehouse, Zach? You're welcome to stay in the living room. Or the garage. Sorry about my parents, by the way."

Zach nodded, accepting the apology though it wasn't necessary. He understood that Grandma Maggie was only being protective of her family. "The treehouse is fine, ma'am."