Day Two - World Population 8 Million

AGNES LEFAY

Will it just never fucking end!

I've had my ear pressed up hard to the door for the past five minutes hearing every word that was exchanged.  First from the guys and then from the soldiers at the door.  The former could be picked up later, depending on the outcome of the latter.

There were so many emotions running through me right at that moment that I had no idea where to start untangling them all.  I needed time to process. Not just the imminent situation but everything that had happened in the last two days.  My death.  My life.  My future.  The danger.  But it seemed fate was being a total bitch and not allowing me such a luxury.

The military was here.  Here to collect my dead body.  A body that was still dead but living a life.  Would they still take me if they knew that I wasn't like those people on the TV? 

The guys seemed to think they would and I was inclined to believe them seeing as they had been following the recent events more than I had over the last few days.  Especially since I had spent probably half of the two days unconscious.   And it was more than that.  I actually trusted them.  I didn't trust many people in my life so that was a huge deal for me.

My breathing picked up as panic gripped me.  I was on the verge of a panic attack and my head was starting to spin from the lack of oxygen.  Did I even need oxygen to breathe anymore?  Now was not the time to test the theory but I made a mental note to come back to this later.

Turning my back to the door, then sliding down it until my bare ass hit the cold tiled floor.  I pulled up my knees, wrapping my arms around my shins and then dropping my forehead on to my knees.  Breathing deeply so I wouldn't crumble.  I was so fucking close to my breaking point but now was not the time to lose it.

I had no control over my life or my immediate future once again.  It was like I was a child again and back in the foster system.  People, who didn't know me, had no idea what kind of person I was and didn't even care to know, had complete power to make decisions over my life that I had no say in and it made me feel sick to my stomach.  I had escaped one nightmare only to begin another.

What the fuck was I going to do?!

I could hear the men in the living room shuffling around banging doors and cupboards as they searched my apartment.  The bedroom would be the next stop before they got to the bathroom where I was hiding out.

I hated that I had to just sit there and wait to be discovered, to wait for my fate to be decided.  I was trapped in this small room  and once they cornered me they would have the upper hand, they would have the control and the thought of that killed me inside.

My only chance was to catch them on the back foot.  To catch them off guard.  To take control of the situation.  A plan started to build in my head and a smile stretched across my face.

Thinking back to the story that the guys had told the soldiers I knew what I needed to do, how I needed to act.

The soldiers were here looking for a psychotic woman ready to tear a person limb from limb. And that's exactly what I will give them.  Just not in the way they expect.

I pulled off my shirt, well Conner's shirt, then climbed in to the tub.  Mentally preparing myself for what I was about to do.  It was fucking risky, but if it worked, they would leave me alone for good.

Hey, nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

Whatever the outcome, at least I would be able to say that I had tried.  That I went down swinging.