6

The problem with being in a completely new district was that you have absolutely no idea where to start. There were so many different restaurants, landmarks, or even small shops that you could possibly start at. Of course Jess, Niall, and I wanted to start with different things but couldn't quite agree on what.

"I still say we go to the burger place, it has the best review of any place in the district!" Niall says, still attempting to win the battle.

Both Jess and I shake our heads, looking over the map which a kind stranger allowed us to use for the day. It actually shocked all three of us that a member of the district was so generous to clear initiates, something you wouldn't usually expect.

People usually weren't very kind to hopeful incoming members, believing that they are lower than them seeming as how little time they've actually been in the district. The best comparison I can think of is how upperclassmen treat younger students during schooling, something that directly relates to how our society works.

"We could go to the glass building, it's not too far from here and has an amazing view." Jess suggests before pointing at the map, a clearly designated skyscraper just in front of where her finger lies.

"It sounds good, Niall?" I say, happy that we were finally able to agree.

He frowns, "I'll only go if we go to the burger place afterwards. I like to eat, and it looks like they've got some really good food."

I laugh at him, "I'd say we should but I don't think any of us have money.

Jess reaches into her pocket, pulling out several green bills. "Before the ceremony I brought some just in case I was switched, and luckily it can be put to some use."

Niall claps her on the back, "way to think ahead."

Jess' cheeks become a light shade of pink, apparently thinking I'm trustworthy as she hands the money to me, "alright let's get going then." I say, looking at the map before walking towards the already visible glass building. It's very distinct considering the reflective glass and fact that it towers of almost every single building in the district.

Jess and Niall keep their promise while slowing their pace to mine, and a smile forms on my lips as I look at the two, imagining how good of friends the three of us may become.

Back at home my only true friend was Liam, he was always someone I could talk to about anything, and actually have fun with. He made life a lot more bearable than it would've been without him, and as we walk down the street I can't help but miss him tremendously.

Jess places a caring hand on my shoulder, "Are you alright, Rose?"

Out of sheer reassurance I fake a smile, trying my best not to let tears fall from my eyes. Sure, life at home wasn't exactly the most exhilarating thing, but it was my life. After the ceremony I found out just how quickly everything could be flipped upside down by a higher power, and I absolutely hate it.

I nod, "just missing some people back home right now."

Niall clears his throat before speaking, "did you have someone you were with or something? I mean, I can't even imagine that happening to me."

"I can't either, but no, I wasn't in a relationship with anyone." I take a deep breath before continuing, "I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't get feelings for anyone just because of the fact that we could easily be separated, and I guess it's a good thing I didn't because that's exactly what would've happened."

Niall smiles widely, "so now that rule is off the table, huh?"

"After training probably, I just don't want to jump into a relationship with everything going on and having no clue how they even work."

Liam actually had several girlfriends back in our district. Being his best friend, I was usually the third wheel go to. It wasn't exactly fun seeming how wherever we'd go, him and his lady friend would end up sucking each others faces off, leaving me there extremely uncomfortable and lonely.

Now, I get the same feeling come from Jess as a frown forms on her lips before quickly vanishing, as if she doesn't want anyone to notice.

"What district did you come from again, Jess?" I have a feeling she's told me already, but with the events over the past day or so it's been hard to really pay attention to things going on around me.

She smiles at my question, "I was switched from District Three, which honestly isn't such a surprise seeming as I can barely draw a stick figure. I think my mother always looked down on me because of my lack for the artistic trait, something that ran in my family." She laughs lightly and I join her, glad to get to know something about her.

A memory comes to mind as I think of when my own mother tried to order art from Jess' district, only to have it denied. Our leaders liked to keep things simple, plain. Honestly, I always wondered what my walls would look like with different colors splashed across them. Little pieces of things I once believed in seem to be fading as I notice how life in my old district don't exactly resonate with who I am.

"Well, I can draw plenty of different tools since I've worked with them so much. A ratchet, hammer, screwdriver, wrench, pliers. Any tool you are able to name, I can draw it." Niall says with confidence, and I can immediately tell what district he came from.

"What is it like in District Five? My brother was transferred there and from the things I've heard, it doesn't sound too good." I ask, immediately wanting to find out the world my brother will be entering.

Ryder was always a kind brother, something that didn't usually happen for siblings. I remember Liam always telling me how him and his sisters would get into huge fights, but Ryder and I just never let our disagreements get that out of hand. Sure he annoyed me, especially with accusations of being the better twin, but we really do have a strong bond to this day.

"It's not exactly paradise, but it's not hell either. We work eight hours a day, six days a week, sometimes working seven if you're desperate for money. Being that the ceremony hadn't happened yet, I could only help my dad out with fixing things people sent in to him personally." He stops, seeming to realize how off track he's gotten, "to answer your question, it's a not so bad life for someone who works hard for things."

For the entirety of our lives my brother has never been one to put too much effort into things, and how Niall describes his district is not a world I would imagine Ryder living in. Then again, no one could probably guess I'd be put in this district either.

"I'm sure your brother will adjust like you, everyone does after some time and learn to love wherever they're placed. A test determined where we'd live, so it must be accurate." Jess says in an attempt to convince me more than anything, but it's not helping whatsoever.

My thoughts drift back to when I was in fact tested, taking two hours to complete what should've been a short and simple stimulation. I feel as if I should tell Niall and Jess about the odd experience, but decide I'd rather have just Ryder and I knowing about it.

"Looks like we're here," Niall says excitedly.

I lift my eyes to find the magnificently beautiful glass building up ahead, deciding that this day will be an adventure, and we will make the most of it.

__________________

Goal: 600 votes and 150 comments

Can I just say that the 5sos album is absolutely amazing PALSJDHQKNA

In other news, Outsider is so close to being in the top ten for fan fiction so please please please vote and comment to help me out!

What's your favorite song on the 5sos album?

Mine is between Voodoo Doll and Amnesia, but honestly I'm in love with the entire thing.

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!

Instagram: @heswriting

-Jo x