36

As soon as I'm able to take in Chris' words I throw my arms around him and Martin happily, unable to stop the squeals from leaving my lips.

I'm going to see my family.

It's strange to think that I haven't seen them in almost five months, not including the disastrous in more than one way final video chat we had just two months ago.

I will finally get to see my mother and father again, even my idiot twin who may look completely different by now, perhaps having a beard or grown five inches, you can never know with him.

I will be able to embrace them and feel their warmth as we talk of what our lives have become over the past few months, becoming a family once again.

"This is amazing." I hear Harry say, breaking my thoughts as I pull away from Chris and Martin, only to realize I'm crying.

"They're happy tears." I explain before any of them can ask, wiping them away as I continue to smile with pure and utter joy. "Why are you bringing them?

"Well," Martin coughs, "we know how important they are to you, and they could be a great addition to the outsiders."

"Why do I feel like it's more than that?" I question.

"Your parents are extremely well known scientists, and your brother has the muscle to pull off missions." Chris explains.

"Are we talking about the same brother here because the Ryder I remember could barely lift a twenty pound weight." I say with a laugh, recalling his feeble and pride harming attempt.

"Your brother has put on twenty pounds of muscle, quite ironic." Martin laughs, and I can only begin to imagine what a once scrawny Ryder now looks like.

"When do I get to see them?" I ask, even though I feel like they've already told me.

"Could be five hours, could be one, we don't really know. We sent Hunter and Zoe to get Ryder, and a separate team for your parents." Chris informs me, and I nod my head at all the information.

"Is there any way to communicate with them?" Harry cuts in, asking something which was on my mind.

"Not until they get back, at which time we'll know if it worked." Martin answers.

"Know if it worked?" I ask, wondering if my family is in safe hands.

"There are a lot of things that could go wrong, or right if the plan is performed precisely. Did you think it would just be a walk in the park to cross district lines and take citizens here?" Chris says, and I begin to feel nervous and offended from his words.

"That's not very insuring." Harry snaps, face getting red with anger as he crosses his arms over his chest.

"We're doing the best thing we can here Harry, everything that happens outside of the plan is completely out of our control." Martin says sincerely, trying to tame the situation.

I feel even more unsure after hearing what he has to say, almost jumping out of my skin when Chris' phone goes off. He pulls it out quickly, answering and speaking a few brief words before gesturing towards me to follow him.

"Ryder's here." He explains as we make our way to the basement, finding Hunter in the surveillance room.

"He's through there, in the briefing room." Hunter informs us, and I practically run to where my brother is.

I lose my breath when I see him, my identical twin sitting with scruff on his chin and biceps showing through his shirt. He's changed so much since I last saw him, and I can't help but cry again when he stands and embraces me.

"I've missed you so much Mary." He breathes into my hair, calling me by the nickname he made up when we were just small children, using it only when we were alone to know I could entrust all my secrets with him.

"Ryder, oh my god." My voice trembles as I pull back to look at him "I can't believe you're here."

"I can't believe I am either, this dude and some chick, who is very hot by the way, please acquaint us, come to pick me up before I start my shift and invite to see my sister."

I laugh, "Her name is Zoe, but I think her and Hunter might have a thing."

"I figured that, they gave me the vibe." He shrugs, no biggie.

I shake my head at him before ruffling his hair, "my baby brother is here, that's all that matters right now, not girls."

"I was actually born four minutes before you, so don't call me the baby." He says with an amused grin. "And that Hunter guy told me you have a thing with some dude named Harry, I want to know the guy that my little sis is with."

"He's my boyfriend, and you can get to know him soon enough."

"Nice, maybe we can be brothers or some shit." He says, and I can imagine them becoming good friends, the two closest people to me being close as well a dream come true.

"Do you want to go meet him?" I ask.

"Hell yes." Ryder says with emphasis, and I clutch onto his hand before guiding him into the surveillance room, finding Harry speaking to Hunter. His eyes immediately move to me as I bring Ryder towards him.

"Ryder this is Harry, Harry this is my brother Ryder." I say, releasing Ryder's hand as the three of us stand there.

"It's nice to finally meet you," Harry says before shaking Ryder's hand, and I sort of stand there in awe at their interaction. "God you two look alike."

"That's what being an identical twin will do to you, I just thank god Rose looks more like me than me like her."

"We actually look the same." I say, rolling my eyes at him.

"But I look like a guy and you look like a girl, so everything turned out well for us in the end." He laughs at his own joke, and I just shake my head at him.

As if being lifted from a haze I notice everyone else in the room, and begin introducing Ryder to each of them, Niall even making a short appearance, having to use a wheelchair which makes me feel guilty, but happy that he's getting better.

Everyone is in good spirits as we talk to one another, and gets to know Ryder. They all seem to be liking him, no surprise though because he just is an extremely likable person, no other way to put it.

At the back of my mind I can't stop thinking of when my parents will get here, and the comfort of Harry's arm around my waist makes me think of how risky this all is.

Finally, after about twenty minutes Chris gets a phone call, leaving the room before coming back a few minutes later.

Everyone becomes quiet as we wait to hear when they will arrive, when I can see my parents again after all these months.

Chris shakes his head, "they didn't make it. The government put a bomb on their vehicle and- and they're dead."

"That can't be true, you said they would be here." I say slowly, nothing making sense.

"I'm sorry, we couldn't see this coming." Chris attempts to apologize, but it isn't enough.

My entire world is beginning to collapse, the people who raised me dead, something my brain still not able to process but tears clearly able to feel. I can feel my heart breaking into a million shattered pieces, and nothing feels right or good anymore.

I scream out in complete agony as I clutch onto my brother, my entire body shaking with grief and rage, and as we stand there I realize something.

He's all I have left.

______________________

dis sad :/

goal: 1200 votes and 600 comments

what's your favorite album? (don't say 1d or 5sos that's too obvious)

mine is bastille's "bad blood"

instagram & twitter: @heswriting

don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!

-jocelyn