Under your spell {A Vampire Romance} [#6]

Original Publish Date: 2/17/2009

 When I woke up it was about one o’ clock in the afternoon. I lay there on my back, staring at the ceiling. Lucian didn’t love me; that much was completely obvious. I doubted a man (or vampire) like him was even capable of love. Still though, I felt like I was connected to him in some weird way.

 No. I pushed that thought out of my head before I got too caught in it. Lucian was an annoyingly prideful and selfish vampire who probably wouldn’t even speak to me after today. I kept telling myself that and finally just got up.

 My first destination was the kitchen, since I had left all my stuff out. I was pretty sure that no one had cleaned it up since they’d all been getting ready for bed by that time.

 Since I’d already taken a shower that morning, I felt pretty guilty for taking another one, but I doubted very many vampires took showers all that often. They had an unusual knack for staying clean a very long time. I kind of envied them in that, but I kept it to myself. This time though, I just threw on some really soft, blue and white plaid pajama pants and a white tank top. I wasn’t going anywhere for a while.

 As I walked down the hall to the kitchen once more (the doors were a considerable distance apart) I saw maids bustling around cleaning rooms and butlers helping or supervising the busy ladies. I smiled at them as I passed and their moods seemed to cheer a little; probably from seeing another human being who hadn’t been bitten by a vampire.

 I reached the kitchen and walked gracefully in, not surprised there were maids cleaning, but the thing that did surprise me was that they hadn’t touched the stuff I’d pulled out. I walked over in amazement and looked at the maid who was wiping down a counter a few feet away from me. “Excuse me, why wasn’t this stuff picked up? I mean, it’s not that I wanted it to be, I just expected it to be gone I guess.” I asked politely and the short woman smiled at me. She had wonderful thick black hair in a cute old-fashioned hairstyle, and I could tell she was Hispanic. I gave her my most cheerful smile.

 “We were told by Master Lucian to not touch it, as you would probably come to finish what you had started.” Her voice replied; a sweet, low tone that reminded me of a well-aged housewife who’d had her share of children and now took care of her grandchildren.

 “Oh? And did he mention anything else?” I asked. Master Lucian? God, the male ego never ceases. Of course, these vampires technically were their masters so I couldn’t blame her.

 “Yes, he gave a very detailed description of you and said that I could not mistake you for anyone else because you had beautiful red hair and the most vibrant and gorgeous green eyes on the planet. I now see he was very correct.” She smiled widely at me and I regretfully blushed. I nodded knowingly and sighed.

 “Thank you, uhhh…” I said, and blushed again. “Oh, I’m so sorry; I forgot to get your name.”

 “Chrysanthemum. Just call me Chrysa, my lady.” She bowed and walked out with the rest of the cleaning crew. I shook my head in amazement and found I was actually angry with Lucian. He sure did know how to show off.

 I turned back to my work and finished in about fifteen minutes. Next I had to sprinkle it around the edges of my room, while reciting the spell I wanted to cast. The potion helped the process. I padded silently down the hall, realizing how eerily quiet it was without all the maids bustling around. It was practically complete silence, since all of the undead were sleeping away the daylight. A few more hours and they would wake.

 When I reached my room I sighed. The maids had cleaned it up for me. I kind of felt bad because they probably didn’t usually have to clean in here since it was normally vacant.