Under your spell {A Vampire Romance} [#12]

Original Publish Date: 5/28/2009

 I swung the scissors at him hard and couldn’t resist closing my eyes. I heard the exact moment when the blades tore through flesh and I let go instantly, fearful of what I had done and what he might do. In the darkness I could not see him, but I heard his heavy breathing and knew he wasn’t happy.

 I hesitated a moment longer and was across the room in seconds. My hand searched quickly for the string to turn on the lamp and all the while my pulse thundered in my ears like a roaring drum.

 I caught the string and yanked on the light faster than any vampire could have grabbed me and felt my knees go weak at what I saw. Lucian was kneeling on both knees in the middle of the bed, fangs fully extended, and the pair of scissors sticking out both sides of his right hand. I stood there, my heart racing and thundering in my ears, my palms starting to sweat, and my entire body trembling. Part of me wanted to run to him and make sure he was ok and apologize a hundred thousand times, while the other part wanted to run for my life and hide.

 Lucian’s eyes suddenly pinned me with their cold stare and I froze. “Come here.” He demanded darkly and all I could do was shake my head. I’d been afraid of Lucian before, but this beat everything I’d ever been afraid of combined.

 “Come. Here.” He pronounced each word thickly and surprisingly it was very seductive. I found myself taking a shaky step forward and quickly shoved myself against the wall again. “Don’t make me come over there.” I gulped hard.

 “I guess you’re going to have to.” I challenged and looked him straight in the eyes. I readied myself and started to run, but in one swift movement Lucian was across the room and pinning me to the wall before I’d gotten more than an inch. His large frame versus mine was not working so well. It seemed like he filled up every particle of air, like there was nothing but him, and I struggled to breathe right; fighting against claustrophobia was not something I did often.

 “The vampire blood has made you quick; hence you stabbing through my hand when I tried to stop you, but it hasn’t made you that quick.” Lucian’s lips descended on mine, but he suddenly stopped just before they touched. “I’m sorry if I have scared you Noelle, but I’m going insane fighting every urge within me to claim you. I don’t know how much longer I can stand as a sane man before I return to being sentenced to solitude once more. The world without you looks pretty fucking bleak. So here,” Lucian pulled the scissors from his hand with a hiss of pain and put them in my hands. “You make the decision. Live with me, or put me out of my misery before I do something I can’t live with anyways.”

 “No. Lucian you can’t make me do that. It’s not fair. I can’t give up my life. I already told you this.” I shook my head at him and he gave a sad smirk.

 “So then kill me. Noelle, you don’t understand how hard this is for me, and you might not ever find out. I’m not lying when I say I love you. There is no one else in the world as fascinating as you are and every time I get near you I feel like I’m a fucking teenager again; even if that was centuries ago.

 I’m a cruel man, I understand that much. When you live as long as I have, and have to drink blood to survive, you can’t exactly stay completely sane. There are many things you won’t like about me, and there are a lot of things I’m certain I won’t like about you, but that’s not keeping me from you. You can adjust to this life, and if it makes you squeamish you never have to drink blood from anyone else but me.” As Lucian said that a scary shadow flashed through his eyes of what I guessed to be along the lines of predatory. “Not that I would want you drinking from anyone else anyways.” He growled.