Under Your Spell {A Vampire Romance} [#14]

Original Publish Date: 8/31/2009

The entire car ride to the ball was tense. Lucian sat in the very back, while I sat in the middle row and I could feel the need to jump my bones positively radiating off of him. This whole time I’d lived with the vamps seemed like a bunch of car rides and moving.

I looked to the side of me, and the male vampire I was sitting next to had fallen asleep listening to music. I knew he was asleep because he was snoring softly. I smiled to myself and turned to look back out the window as the scenery passed us by. Suddenly I felt a finger brush the hair away from my neck and instantly I knew it was Lucian; I recognized his touch.

Lucian’s lips skimmed feather light over the nape of my neck, my collar bone, and eventually my pulse. My heart skipped a beat and a smile spread across my face. He knew exactly how to set me aflame. “You are supposed to wait.” I whispered to him, my voice set with desire.

“I know, but it’s very hard to when you look the way you do right now.” Lucian whispered back in his dangerous tone and I closed my eyes to savor his touch. It was going to be a long night.

Lucian kissed my pulse one last time and sat back in his seat. I glanced up at Jeffrey, who was driving yet again, and he smirked at me in the rearview mirror. I blushed the most violent shade of red because I realized he had seen what Lucian did to me. Without another safe place to look, I turned my gaze out the window again. My heart started fluttering in excitement when I saw a mansion concealed fairly well by the thick, overgrown forest. This must be our destination.

Within a minute Jeffrey was pulling into the circular drive over-stuffed with fancy cars and elegant vampires walking to the entrance. I got so excited when he parked that I just about shot out of the car like a bullet and through the front doors in a matter of seconds. Lucian, being a vampire, quickly caught up with me and when he caught me he was laughing.

“Slow down bulls-eye.” He smirked at me and I grinned.

“I didn’t think I could be this excited about a ball, but amazingly I am.” I confessed and looked around the gigantic ballroom. Everything was dressed in black and white, a very formal decor with lace accents. It looked absolutely stunning, and the female vampire’s various dresses added splashes of color here and there. Very aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

“Shall we dance?” Lucian quirked an eyebrow at me and I smiled up at him.

“We shall.” I replied and he instantly swept me into the crowd to dance. Vampires, sticking to their traditions, had a group of violinists and other instruments playing classical music. As little as I listened to classical, I found it very easy to dance to in this situation. I felt so right in Lucian’s arms, it was almost as if I was floating. I slowly looked up at him and he smiled at me, one full of fangs but it was still beautiful. “I may be a witch, but I’m under your spell Lucian. I couldn’t think of a more perfect time, even though a ball isn’t my idea of entertainment.”

“You talk too much.” He shook his head at me and I beamed at him. Suddenly there was a hand on Lucian’s shoulder and he turned slowly to reveal the Prince standing behind him.

“Two more mates found, it is such a relief. At least I do not have to worry about you anymore Lucian, I think this one has got you under control. How is your brother by the way?” He inquired. Everything about the prince seemed elegant; he wore a perfectly tailored suit, stood with perfect posture, spoke with a beautiful voice, and kept his long blonde hair tied neatly behind him in a long, loose ponytail. He also wore a top hat, which I thought kind of odd somehow.