Under your spell {A Vampire Romance} [#8]

Original Publish Date: 2/22/2009

 As I stepped up to the door of Lucian’s room, it swung open. His eyes glared fiercely down at me and I glared right back. “Something’s going on. There’s a woman screaming.” I managed to utter through clenched teeth.

 “I can hear that.” Lucian spat out, then pushed passed me rather rudely to stride down the hall in a rather furious pace. He put his hand on the doorknob then looked back at me, hesitating. “Stay there.” His tone was dark and rather mad. I didn’t say anything, didn’t even move or nod. Lucian turned his gaze back to the door then disappeared.

 I sighed in frustration. Neither of us wanted to talk to the other, and this was probably how it was going to be between the two of us for a while. I leaned against the wall next to his door and waited, absolutely itching with curiosity as to what had happened. I had a feeling it hadn’t been anywhere near close to good, but the fact that it might have been bloody or dangerous just spiked my curiosity more. I sighed again and clenched my hands into tight fists. Damn-it, I was walking in there no matter what anyone said.

 But just as I was walking, someone called to me. “Noelle, get in here, now!” Lucian yelled and I jumped up and ran down the hall. I rounded the corner into the door and froze. Ariella was laying on the floor, her shoulder gaping open horridly, and her breathing ragged. Hunter was leaning over her, panicking and telling her everything was alright. Lucian stood above them, looming over the wounded vampire and her mate, and swearing beneath his breath. Not too far from the group was a dead vampire, one I recognized as Andre from when the vampires picked me up.

 The back of my hand went to my mouth to keep a sob from coming out and I ran to kneel next to Ariella. “I’m so sorry. What happened?” I asked, my voice so shaky it surprised me. I stroked her hair and ignored the desperate commands of Hunter. I felt Lucian put his hand on my shoulder and, despite everything that was going on between us, I felt comforted.

 Suddenly I heard Seilauna outside the broken window at the back of the room and looked just in time to see her leap through as gracefully as if it were nothing. She had a katana in her right hand, and a powerful looking magnum in her left.

 “I tried to chase them down, but they were to fast. There’s something wrong about the whole thing though, because I smelled vampire on their trails. Wasn’t one of ours either. Lucian, do you think one of our own would turn against us?” Her voice held pure power and authority. I looked back down at Ariella, feeling guilty that I felt insignificant in Seilauna’s presence.

 “Stands to reasoning that one would, because that explains how they were able to develop the disease; they have vampires working for them or they have them captive. Though, if we just had one attack us, then I don’t think that one is kept against their will.” Lucian replied, and I shivered. How could they turn against their own kind?

 “Right. Well, this means we’re going to have to move. We aren’t safe here. At least our group and the upper ranking vampires that live with us. I don’t think we could manage to move the whole coven. Those who wish can stay, but we need to move so we don’t end up dead. Lucian, get Ariella to Ricoh, he’ll help with the healing process. We can carry out when she’s better. I’ll find us a place and talk to the vamps that need to come with us.” She commanded and began to walk across the room, then stopped. “Noelle, I need to talk to you for a moment.”

 I looked up at her, startled. I’d never even had a real conversation with Seilauna, and I didn’t know what she could want to talk to me about. I nodded, slightly uncertain, and as I rose to my feet I noticed that Lucian and Hunter were also surprised she had said it. I waved it off and followed Seilauna out of the room. She smiled at me then lead me down the hall a few doors until we stopped and entered one with an intricate carving of a tree in the middle of it.