Under Your Spell {A Vampire Romance} [#17]

Original Publish Date: 9/26/2009

“Well, it’s kind of strange. Promise you won’t get scared or laugh at me?” Skylar’s innocent brown eyes looked at me with hope and I wondered how she could be so calm in such a situation.

“I promise I will take it seriously.” I nodded in assurance and she took a deep breath. Skylar moved around the room a little, as if deciding where the right spot was, then glanced up at me quickly to make sure I wasn’t laughing or judging. Suddenly the little girl before me wasn’t a little girl. In fact, she wasn’t even human. There was now a wolf pup in front of me with a silver coat that had black tips. I took a deep breath and held it in to keep from gasping. She was a shapeshifter.

Suddenly the wolf cub disappeared and the little girl replaced it. She avoided looking up at me for a little bit, but eventually she seemed to realize it was inevitable. Her brown eyes turned up to me in all of their intensity and I couldn’t stop myself from hugging her. At first she was frozen stiff with surprise, but she eventually relaxed and returned the hug.

“Skylar, it’s beautiful. I would never laugh at you or get scared of you.” I said through the tears welling up. This girl was an absolute inspiration. That she could go through her parents dying, being captured by hunters, and then showing me possibly her best kept secret and still have trust and hope was incredible. I released her gently and she smiled up at me, trying to hide the sadness within her.

“Now, what’s your power?” She asked. I laughed and pat her on the shoulder.

“Well, I can’t show you right now, because there is nothing here for me to use, but I can move objects, unfortunately only small things. I can also see the past of an object, kind of how some people can see the future; I just see the past.” I explained and her eyes were wide in wonder.

“That’s cool. I’ve never met somebody with powers too. Maybe you can help me with mine.” Skylar said, excitement laced through her tone. I grinned.

“Well, I can’t shape shift, so I don’t know. Maybe Lucian can though.” I said, and had to hold tears back. I missed him so much right now, but in a way I was also very angry with him. Why hadn’t he come yet? Or even still any of the other vampires? He wasn’t the only one who cared...

“Who is Lucian?” Skylar asked in complete cluelessness.

“He’s the vampire I love. He is, in vampire words, my mate. I’ll explain it to you when you are older.” I ruffled her light brown hair playfully and she smiled in a distant way.

“My parents used to always say that to me when I asked something they didn’t want to answer. I always figured I would get an answer later. Now I never will.” She said sadly and a tear rolled down her cheek. I thought for a moment of what to say, careful to choose my words right so as not to upset her even more.

“Skylar, there will always be someone who can give you an answer. It may not be your parents, but there are others who care about you and will make sure you are ok. I’m very sorry you lost your mom and dad. I lost my family too, but now that they are gone you have to move on and be happy like they would want you to. If I could take care of you I would, but I don’t think I’m ready for children just yet. I can promise you though, that wherever you go, I will be with you to make sure you are ok. Perhaps not all day everyday, but enough.” I spoke gently to her.

“Why can’t I just stay with you? I don’t trust anyone else. I can trust you because you are here now, you know what it’s like. No one else will.” Her voice was filled with unshed tears and I felt the strings of my heart give a long, hard tug.