Under Your Spell {A Vampire Romance} [#15]

Original Publish Date: 9/11/2009

I started coughing uncontrollably, waking myself up from the fragile sleep I had been in. My lips were cracked and dry, and as I coughed I could tell there was dust in my mouth. I looked around cautiously and realized I was on a cold cement floor, shackles attached to my limbs, and a door with iron bars for a window. It was dark, really really dark, and right now I wished that Lucian had turned me into a vampire that night so I could see.

When I tried to move, drowsiness swamped me and I fell helplessly back to the floor. I had no doubt that whoever had taken me probably gave me sedatives. I tried to reach out with my mind to Lucian like he had done to me, but before I could latch onto him I was punished with a brutal head ache.

“Fuck.” I said dryly, and my throat felt scratchy as hell, which sent me into another coughing fit. Where was my vampire? I had no idea how long I had been here, but I knew Lucian, he would come after me no matter what.

Suddenly the heavy metal door swung open with a groan and a guy with a gun in his left hand walked over to stand above me. “Get up.” He commanded in a dark voice and I didn’t move. “I said get up!” He hit me square in the stomach with the butt of his gun and I gasped in pain. Slowly I turned over and began to get to my knees, being careful in case the drowsiness hit me once again.

Obviously I was taking too long for Mr. Sunshine here, because he grabbed me roughly by my upper arm and drug me to my feet. I nearly fell right back down, and he held onto me just in case, though I was pretty sure it wasn’t because he was being nice.

He shoved the gun to my back and made me walk forward out of my little room, and down a hall that looked pretty much the same. There were other doors like mine lining the walls, and I could hear the shackles of prisoners rustling as they moved around hopelessly. I couldn’t see inside to any of the people as I was pushed pass, but they definitely weren’t any better off than I was; in fact they were probably worse.

I couldn’t help but wonder what I had done to deserve this? My life, ever since the vampires walked in, had been so complicated. Hadn’t I been through enough yet? And of course, there was the fact that I had finally admitted to myself and to Lucian that I loved him and was about to be turned into a vampire. Then this happened, and pretty much ruined everything. If I made it out of here alive, I was going to be turned A.S.A.P.

It’s funny how not too long ago, I had been completely against Lucian and being with vampires; now that’s all I want. In a way Lucian had made me into a better person, though it’s not like I was bad before. With the help of Ariella, Hunter, Seilauna, even Jeffrey, I had found a new home, that even though it is much more dangerous, is so much greater than the life I had before.

Suddenly I was yanked out of my poetic thoughts as a door slammed open in front of me and i was pushed through vigorously. I couldn’t remember how I’d gotten to here from my cell because I had been lost in my thoughts but at that moment I was pretty sure it didn’t matter. All around me were instruments you would see in a grim hospital from a horror movie, and then some. Scalpels, needles, clamps, practically everything was rusted or at least partially. The only fancy looking things were the test tubes lined up on the counter, containing liquid of all different colors. Hey, they may have been pretty, but that didn’t mean what they do is pretty.

The entire room gave off a feeling of a sinister laboratory and, as I was rudely shoved towards a gurney, I was afraid of what they were about to do to me. My escort dragged me over to the gurney and glared at me. Not wanting to get shot I laid down on the cold, bare metal and he strapped my arms, legs, and midsection down. I didn’t speak, I couldn’t. What if I died here and never saw Lucian again? My heart raced at the thought and this time I didn’t roll my eyes.