Under your spell {A Vampire Romance} [#10]

Orignial Publish Date: 4/2/2009

 I lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling. I could feel that my eyes were still puffy and red from crying myself to sleep. Unfortunately, I woke up just two hours after I’d fallen asleep.

 I could hear the vampires all around the house laughing, talking, and having a good time. It didn’t matter though, because my thoughts kept wandering back to what Lucian was doing at this precise moment. Was he in a group, joking about humans? Or was he out on a stroll in the moonlight?

 I rolled over onto my side and sighed. It was useless trying to think of something else, but I tried nonetheless. When I had no luck though, I swung my feet over the side of the bed and wrapped a fluffy green robe around myself. I stepped outside the door after checking that no one was in the hall, and I made a run for it towards the front entrance to the huge mansion.

 Flinging open the door and walking out, I took a deep breath of the crisp night air, knowing that it was where I belonged; even if I denied it. I crossed my arms across my breasts and began walking nowhere. The forest was beautiful at this time of night, with the moon so full, and I could hear the guardian wolves trotting along beside me to make sure I wasn’t up to something and no one else was either. They honestly were beautiful creatures, and I admired their wisdom. It seemed they always knew what to do. Unlike me.

 I sat down on the smaller of two large boulders I eventually came across, and looked up at the stars. They shone so bright in this sky – a view you couldn’t get with the bright city lights. I sighed. The thought of living this life was tempting indeed, but it was just wishful thinking. I doubted anything could be this perfect.

 Turns out I was right.

 Suddenly the wolves started panting heavily, some growling lowly. They slunk away into the deeper shadows of the forest and I soon heard footsteps crunching across dead leaves and dry pine needles.

 I trusted the wolves to protect if need be, so I didn’t move from my spot as the sound grew closer and closer. Soon enough though, I found that they didn’t need to protect me. A familiar face stepped out from the trees and hesitated when they saw me. Lucian glared at me and continued walking, a black wolf striding perfectly next to him. The wolf looked up at me and hesitated which, as I observed, surprised Lucian because he stopped and turned to the wolf to see what was wrong. The wolf started whimpering at me.

 “No, leave her alone. Come, we will have nothing to do with her.” Lucian commanded and began to walk again. The wolf hesitated a minute longer and followed obediently. I got the feeling though, that even if this wolf listened to him, it didn’t have to and was still a wild and free spirit.

 “I’m glad to see you too.” I mumbled and both Lucian and the wolf stopped dead in their tracks.

 “No you’re not. We’re obviously bothering you, so we’ll be on our way.” He didn’t even turn around to say it.

 “I was being sarcastic jackass, and the only reason you’re bothering me is because you act like that.” I indicated his bad attitude and they both stiffened. I quirked an eyebrow at the wolf, who seemed to do almost everything Lucian did.

 Suddenly, the wolf trotted over to me and laid his head in my lap. I looked at him in surprise and spared a glance at Lucian before I began to stroke his thick-furred neck. Soon I realized, as I stroked the wolf’s fur, that Lucian was swaying as if I were petting him too. I rested my hand atop the wolf’s head and looked down into his golden eyes. He stared right back at mine too, and it was like he could see into my soul. I smiled at him and kissed his nose, then rose to my feet.