Burning Dinner

The news spread quickly like a disease. People mostly stared at Percy because I was in the sidelines. We reached the lake.

     "I've got to go to training. Dinner is at seven-thirty. Just follow your cabin to the mess hall," Annabeth informed us. Percy apologized for the toilet water. He splashed her. I maneuvered the water away from her. I looked down into the lake. I saw two teenage girls sitting at the bottom. Percy did too. The girls waved at Percy. He hesitantly waved back.

     "Naiads. Don't encourage them. They're trouble when it comes to flirting," she warned.

     "Naiads. That's it I want to go home," Percy said. I sighed and looked at Annabeth.

     "I got this. Percy don't you get it? This place is home. The place where kids like us can go and be safe," I stared into his eyes pleading for him to understand.

     "You mean mentally disturbed kids?" he grumbled.

     "We mean not totally human. Half human," Annabeth put in.

     "Half human and half what?" Percy asked. I leaned into his ear.

     "I think you already know," I whispered. I motioned to all the cabins.

     "Half god," he muttered.

     "Yup. You're father's not dead. Mine isn't either," I said. Percy turned to Annabeth.

     "Who's your father?" Percy asked. I immediately felt the tension in Annabeth.

     "He's a professor at West Point. He teaches American History," she said shortly.

     "He's human," Percy had a sudden realization. I sighed.

     "No der Captain Obvious. Thanks for the info," I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes.

     "Then who's your mother?" he asked.

     "Cabin six," Annabeth answered.

     "Which is?" he pushed.

     "Athena goddess of wisdom and battle," Annabeth straightened. Percy asked a few more questions about camp. Annabeth answered all of them. She told us about the border protecting us from unintentional monsters and mortals. And quests. And their field trip in the winter solstice about going to Olympus. Then Percy mentioned the summer solstice. Annabeth said after they visited Olympus the weather was weird. She hoped that either of us could have helped to solve the problem. Then Percy's stomach growled with mine. Annabeth told us we can go. She'll catch us later. We went back to the Hermes cabin. Luke the counselor came over and told us he got us sleeping bags and some toiletries that he stole being the son of Hermes and all. For some reason I had an uneasy feeling about him but he seemed like a cool guy. He made us feel right at home. Then Percy asked about the things that have been happening today. He says everybody has been saying we were the ones or special. Luke just said that we shouldn't worry about it. Annabeth has been dying to get a quest but Chiron hasn't let one happen ever since Luke's quest. Then a horn blew off in the distance.

     "Come on. It's time for dinner," Luke said. We all filed out of the cabin. In all there were hundreds of campers, a few satyrs, naiads and wood nymphs. The Hermes table was packed. But I was fine with it. Apparently there were these glasses that can fill up with any type of non alcoholic drink. I chose my favorite: 7-up. We got up and sacrificed some of our food to the gods. Luke says that the gods like the smell. I walked up to the campfire and slid some brisket in. I silently prayed to my father to please say something and show that I have a family. Then Mr. D introduced me and Percy. But he called Percy, Peter Johnson. He called me by my name. Then we moved to a campfire sing along led by the Apollo cabin. We all had a good time fooling around. And Percy kissed me on the cheek that night. Best night ever. I was smiling from ear to ear all night.