c. thirty six

Wolves and men battled one another mercilessly, although it was easy to spot the three lycans raking through the crowds effortlessly. The sheer size of the lycans made the wolves seem to be pups, although a few still launched themselves at the lycans. Those foolish few were soon dead as the lycans easily destroyed them.

My thud had brought the attention of a particularly large wolf who stalked towards me. It pulled back it's lips into a snarl, revealing rows of pointed teeth slick with blood and spit. In it's eyes was a crazed look, nothing compared to the way the lycans looked at me. I felt my heart in my stomach. 

But, my fear was short lived, as the deranged wolf was tackled to the ground by another, larger wolf with deep chocolate brown fur. The wolf dug it's jaw into the stomach of the other, tearing flesh from bone and soul from body. The corpse stilled, and the sharp scent of blood invaded my senses. The wolf that had saved me turned, and we locked eyes for a moment, before it nodded and was lost in the crowd. I stood, momentarily shocked, and my eyes searched for Sebastian's large wolf body, and spotting it amidst the crowd, battling the smaller creatures with ease. I took a deep breath, aiming to not get myself involved, and began to run. A wolf collided with me, and I instantly dropped onto all fours, and a growl rumbled deep within my chest. Pushing off of my legs, I launched myself at the wolf with my hands outstretched. My claws sank into the shoulders of the wolf, as I tucked my head safely under the rogue wolf's snapping jaw. I removed one of my hands, hanging back momentarily, only to slash through the wolfs neck. Blood sprayed across  my face and I flinched, as I came back to my senses. 

I looked down at my blood covered hands, and memories of Esmerelda's severed neck flooded my mind. Without looking back at the wolf corpse I ran forawards, keeping track of Sebastian's large wolf. I dodged incoming wolves, darting through the bloody destruction. I eventually met him, as he had just disposed of a rogue that had attacked him, and I immediately pressed my head against the soft warm fur of his strong front leg. He lowered his head, licking the side of my face gently, and had it been any other time, I would've giggled, but now was not the time. Sebastian yelped as three rogues attacked him from behind, one sinking its jaws deep into the fleshier part of his leg. I stumbled back in shock, and watched as he viciously battled, although with the appearance of a fourth, he'd started to struggle, and something deep within me heated my body with an uncontrollable rage.

 My movements were not entirely my own as I ran, dropping to the ground and sliding under Sebastian's large body, and delivering a kick to the throat of the wolf. The wolf snarled it's eyes focusing on me, but this was the distraction Sebastian needed. He leapt over my head, having managed to distract the other three. I turned to one and as it bared it's yellowed teeth. I charged towards it. I had almost reached it when a deep howl was heard from deep within the forest. The rogue turned towards the trees as the sound danced through the trees, and with one last growl in my way, it darted into the woods. Soon, there were wolves bolting for the trees, one even managing to knock me over on it's way, and Sebastian immediately came and stood over me, and the retreating wolves simply ran around him until all that was left was what remained of Toby's pack. It didn't look like much. All through out the clearing, wolves has begun to shift into their blood stained human forms and eventually, there was no longer a large wolf over me, but a warm hand outstretched to help me up from the ground. 

"You did incredibly, I'm so proud," he said, a soft look in his eyes, and I could only gently smile as I searched the field for Benjamin and Catori. The two remained in their wolf form, as the came over to us with an air of authority and elegance, as though they hadn't just slaughtered relentlessly. 

The four of us walked slowly towards where the members of the pack had begun to huddle. The first to approach us was a tall man with dark, yet familiar eyes. It was the wolf that saved me. I smiled.

"Thank you..." I said, at a loss for his name.

"Jasper," he uttered through his deep coloured lips. He immediately got on one knee, staring up at the four of us, facing down.

"At ease," Sebastian had muttered from behind me. And something about the forced show of respect unsettled me. Something would have to be done about that. 

I offered him a guilty smile, as he glanced my way.

"What are the casualties?" Sebastian had asked, his deep voice cool and collected. 

"We're looking at a loss of ten wolves maybe, around 20 are severely injured, and someones been sent to check back on the women and children."

"The women don't fight?" I asked, confused. And he looked at me with a strange look.

"Of course not, they are kept in a bunker and warriors are stationed outside to protect them."

This was something I couldn't wrap my head around, as I remember how Sebastian had been the one to even suggest that I train.

"That's archaic," I argued, surprised at my own willingness to argue.

"The women aren't as stron-" and it was at that, that something within me snapped.

"Maybe you wouldn't have lost so many lives, if you didn't render an entire gender as useless." came the voice of Catori, who had now shifted. 

"Are you saying you could beat me, boy, because I'm a woman?" she asked, taking steps forward. She walked right until she had to bend her neck backwards to look up into his eyes. But by the looks of him, you wouldn't be able to tell it was cold outside, so clearly she was having an effect on him.

"No, of course not my lady," he'd began to stutter.

"On order of The Ghost, every woman and girl of age in this pack will be trained at the same level as any bone headed fool here."

"You're the ghost?" he stuttered. 

"In the flesh," and at this, everyone stiffened, immediately looking down. The mention of that name shook them all to their core, and I made a mental note to ask later on. 

"Let's head to the pack house," she said calmly, and everyone scrambled to get up and some even shifted back into their wolves, running off into the woods, presumably towards this pack house. 

I watched bewildered, my feet rooted to the spot, and it was only when Sebastian picked me in his arms, and I was pressed up against his naked chest was I brought back to reality. 

I looked up at him, and he looked down at me, and we shared a profound moment. Just connecting, glad that both of us were unharmed, even though we healed almost impossibly fast on the outside. 

The walk to the pack house was silent, but we could all feel the storm brewing.

______

hey guys! here's another chapter for all my lovelies!!! 

i don't really have much to say because its like 1 am here and im dying to go to bed, but i made a NEW COVER!! and i simply cannot release a new cover without a new chapter to announce it! lemme know what you think of the cover!!! do you think it goes well with the book?

did you enjoy todays chapter? what are your thoughts, leave a vote too maybe?

lots of love guys,

-chan xox