Chapter 4 - Midnight Visitor

~Astra~

"How did you get here?" Aunt Andromeda asked, pressing a cup of tea into Colette's hand. We'd all gathered around the kitchen table, though my aunt was bustling the kitchen, making tea. "Surely you didn't fly?"

I glanced at Colette curiously. She was scared of heights to the point where astronomy was challenging, so she couldn't have flown; anyway, I wasn't sure she knew how to get here on her own. How exactly had she gotten here?

Colette glance at me uncertainly, and I bit my lip. She apparated, I realized. Oh no...

"Well..." Colette swirled her tea around in her cup, not drinking yet. "Illegally...?" She shot a wary glance at my aunt, and I realized she actually wanted to impress my family, wanted them to like her. I'd never really seen her like this, since when I'd met her she'd been dead set on hating and being hated. It was rather sweet.

Aunt Andromeda smiled. "Sometimes the rules need to be bent, dear. No harm done, I'm sure."

"I didn't splinch myself, if that's what you mean."

"Have you apparated before?" I asked. I knew she'd been studying the theory fourth year, but she'd sworn she wasn't actually going to do it illegally.

Colette shook her head. "First time. I think I did well."

"I'll say," Toire said, stifling a yawn. "How'd you manage that?"

"Colette studies all sorts of things," I explained. "She was trying to teach all of us about apparating at the end of fourth year."

Aunt Andromeda placed a plate of biscuits in the middle of the table. "You're welcome to stay here as long as you need, Colette."

"Thank you," she said. Her tea suddenly appeared very interesting, apparently, because she was staring at it instead of us.

I hesitated for a moment, wanting to ask the question we were all wondering, but afraid Colette might take the excuse to close up. However, curiosity won out. "What... What happened, Colette?"

Her jaw tightened. "Well..." She tapped the side of her mug with her fingers. "My dad kicked me out."

I felt my stomach drop. "Was it because he saw us together in Diagon Alley?"

"It's not your fault," Colette said, frowning at me. "He's narrow-minded. And, I mean, he's been trying to kick me out for a few weeks, or at least threatening it. I suppose he wouldn't have done anything if I hadn't left, just walked back to my room like always. I was just tired of putting up with it."

"I don't blame you," Teddy said. "Living somewhere that you're not wanted... No one should have to put up with that."

Aunt Andromeda rubbed Colette's shoulder sympathetically. "Like I said, you're welcome to stay here, indefinitely."

The sound of Charis crying came from upstairs, which was the cue for Victoire to go comfort her and everyone else to break off. Teddy insisted on being a gentleman and carrying Colette's suitcase upstairs to my room, and Aunt Andromeda fussed about so much that it took three times of me saying "I think we're fine," before she finally went to bed, too.

Because we didn't have a spare room anymore, Aunt Andromeda had put another bed in the corner of my room. I had a feeling she would've done that anyway, just so Albus wouldn't have to sleep on the floor when he and Wren spent the night. It worked out well, now, though. Albus would be sleeping on the floor anyway.

"Do you think your dad's going to be mad?" I asked quietly after I'd turned out the light. We were both lying in bed, and despite the fact that it was nearly two in the morning, I didn't feel much like sleeping.