Chapter 9 - Mundane Things

~Astra~

Dear Father,

Back at Hogwarts now! I'm really glad the O.W.L.s are over, but our professors are already trying to prepare us for N.E.W.T.s, even though we don't take those for two years. I guess we won't get a break till we're out of school.

I mean, granted Stillens doesn't manage to take over Britain by then. According to Colette and the Quibbler, Parliament is doing all sorts of almost shady things under the radar. They've made "detention centers" for people they think are in the DA. No one knows what goes on there.

I'm sorry, this question might be too sensitive, but do you ever get to talk to the other people in cells around yours? I only ask because when I was there, I saw Hestia Carrow. Like, the old minister. She's two doors down from yours, I think. Macmillan said someone bugged her cell, so we couldn't speak to her. It's really sad, honestly. I spent so long hating her, but now I can only feel really, really sorry for her.

I promise, I'll work hard in all my classes! I need N.E.W.T.s in every subject I'm taking to become a lawyer, you know? It might be a little hard. Good thing I have Wren to help. Anyway, I love you, and I'll come visit during the Christmas holidays if I can.

Love, Astra

I glanced up. "Hey, I'm going to take this to Mr. Potter," I whispered.

Wren nodded. "Give me a second. I'm almost done; I'll come with you."

It was Friday night, and I'd come along to the library with Wren because Haverna had already assigned a three foot essay due the beginning of next week. Of course, I'd gotten none of it done, but I'd tried, and that was the point, right?

Maybe not. I was a bit disappointed in myself, honestly. Near the end of last year, I'd actually started to try to do well in Charms, with the sole goal of pissing off Haverna. It had worked beautifully, and I'd planned to do it again this year, but I'd already been distracted. To be fair, though, writing my dad was far more important.

"Did you write any of the essay?" Wren whispered as she rolled up her parchment.

"Yes!" I exclaimed indignantly. Madam Pince shot me a nasty glare. I lowered my voice. "Like... a paragraph... It's not due till Tuesday, Wren."

She rolled her eyes. "Do it whenever you want, Astra. Just don't expect me to help if you wait till midnight on Monday night."

"Of course not," I said as we started towards the door. "I'll do it at lunch on Tuesday."

Wren seemed horrified, so I had to quickly assure her I was kidding, and definitely didn't plan to do that (after all, I had to eat at lunch, right?).

Mr. Potter was hidden behind a pile of parchments when we walked into his office. Wanted posters, aurora orders, probably some DA communications. There were things tacked up on the wall, with arrows and question marks and circles all over the place.

He glanced up and shot us a tired smile. I hadn't noticed all the gray in his hair now, or the lines around his eyes. "How can I help you?"

"Right." I smiled and handed him my letter. "Just for my dad."

"Wonderful." He laid it down on top of his briefcase. "I might be able to make it out there sometime this week. If not, I'll send it with one of the caretakers."

"Okay. Thanks." I smiled again, wishing I could do something to make him less stressed.

"Before you two go, I have a question," he said, growing serious. "Wren, you don't know anything about Stillens wanting to kill muggle families, do you?"