Chapter 44 - The Easy Way Out

~Astra~

"Ciara Malfoy found out about me last night," Wren said. She didn't even look up from her breakfast, and had said it so casually that it took me a second to register what she meant.

Ciara had found out about her? That was impossible, wasn't it? Wren must have told her, then. Absolutely insane. No, Professor Haverna must have told her, which was even more unbelievable. I had so many questions, but found I was too shocked to put any of them into words. I was left just staring at her with my mouth open.

Albus dropped his fork, blinking at Wren in surprise. James leaned back, turning to her with raised eyebrows. Even Colette seemed confused and intrigued. After a moment, James finally managed to say, "Excuse me, what?"

Wren shrugged, still not looking up. She seemed very self-conscious. "She's been watching Nico Jasper so closely, and followed him to the entrance hall last night, where she saw me leave with him. Then she went to Mr. Potter."

"Oh." James pursed his lips. "So you had to tell her, then?"

"I mean, no, not really. We could've lied, covered it up somehow. But I didn't want to do that. I'm kind of glad this happened, to be honest."

"Glad?" James was staring at her like this was completely unbelievable. "This is Ciara Malfoy, Wren!"

"Can we really trust her?" Colette asked.

I glared at her. "Ciara's my cousin! Of course we can."

Albus, Colette, and James all seemed very unconvinced, and turned back to Wren for an answer. She smiled a little and shrugged. "I think so."

"But—"

"It was Mr. Potter's idea, not mine," she said, cutting Colette off before she could make an argument. Colette blinked at her, seeming surprised. "But," Wren continued, "I agreed with it. Ciara Malfoy isn't that bad."

"I've been saying that for years," I muttered, rolling my eyes. Why did Wren get to proclaim that like it was some great revelation from heaven? Ciara and I had been getting along since fourth year, and everyone had thought I was crazy all this time because she was clearly one of the worst people ever.

Wren was watching me. She had that look on her face, like she could tell what I was thinking. It was annoying. "I know. I'm sorry I never listened you before."

"To be fair," Albus added, "She's been a prat to the rest of us until recently."

"She's still a prat to me," James muttered, rolling his eyes.

"That's because you all never gave her a chance!" I exclaimed.

"Why would we?" Albus demanded.

"Because she's my cousin!"

"She could be Jesus Christ and I still wouldn't give her a chance if she was being a prat," Colette said sourly.

I reached for my wand. If they were going to start acting like this, I was more than happy to hex them in order to defend my cousin's honor. "That's ridiculous, Colette. You're being a prat right now."

"First off, rude. Second off, you don't even know—"

"Ciara's actually the worst," James cut in. "If I was being forced to choose between spending time with her or Eris Prince, that'd be a toss up, honestly."

"You know what?" I started, but Wren cut me off.

"Stop it, all of you," she snapped. "It doesn't matter what Ciara used to be like, all right? Astra was right. We weren't. Let's leave it at that."