Chapter 28 - Fidelius

~Wren~

Christmas Day was as interesting as always. Lily knocked over the Christmas tree trying to demonstrate a dance River had taught her. Roxanne kept stealing people's sweaters until she was waddling around with five on, struggling with a sixth. Dom and James got into an argument about who was taller. It was clearly James, but Dom kept shrugging and saying that wasn't her truth, and James was getting very angry. Albus finally had to cut in and say that Dom's truth had always been a little crazy, and everyone knew it, so he didn't see why James cared.

Fred made the whole day, though, talking nonstop about his amazing girlfriend. Who was she? He couldn't say, but she was at Hogwarts, and played on her House's Quidditch team. Apparently, she was phenomenal.

"As if," Roxanne said, rolling her eyes. "He's been going on about this mystery girl for weeks now," she explained to those of us sitting around the fireplace, which was James, Albus, Rose, and me.

"Because she's incredible!" Fred said.

"Yeah, it's crazy how great figments of your imagination can be, isn't it?" Roxanne asked. She stood up. "I've heard this enough. You guys can try to talk him out of it, if you'd like, but I'm done." She walked off towards the older girls.

Fred turned to frown at us. "She exists."

"Who is she, then?" Albus asked. "We won't tell Roxanne."

Fred frowned. "I can't say."

"Why not?" Rose asked.

"She... She doesn't want people to know," he explained.

"Why?" I asked. I tried to think who was on the house teams. It wasn't any of the Gryffindors, but the only other ones I knew were Lily, Poppy, and Ciara, none of whom seemed likely.

"Is it Clarissa Rogers?" Albus asked after a moment.

"No, it's Ciara Malfoy," James said, crossing his arms. "I've been right this whole time."

Fred made a face. "Ciara? No!" He paused, as if trying to put his disgust into words. "Ew," was all he could come up with.

Albus rolled his eyes. "James, not this again..."

"You think I'd go out with Ciara Malfoy?" Fred demanded, glaring at James now. "What kind of idiot are you?"

"I'm not an idiot!" James exclaimed, glaring back.

Rose sighed. "Let's not argue. It's Christmas. If Fred wants to have an imaginary girlfriend, let him." She stood up, and Albus did, too. "Just talk about something else."

As they walked away, Fred mumbled, "She's not imaginary."

"Then who is she?" James asked.

"It's not Ciara Malfoy," he said.

I pursed my lips. "Fred, does she really play for her House team? I feel like all the girls who do are either way too young for you... or... I don't know, just not the type of girl you'd go out with."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Fred demanded.

I cringed. "I... I don't know."

"She's saying they're out of your league," James stated matter-of-factly. "Clarissa, for example? Way out of your league."

Fred frowned. "Excuse me? I could... I could get with Clarissa if I wanted to! I just don't want to. If anything, she's out of my league."

"Higher, you mean?" James said, rolling his eyes. "You know Clarissa's too good for you. Just admit it's Ciara Malfoy and let us go back to our regularly scheduled family drama."