Chapter 16 - Threats

~Wren~

"Hey, Wren, why has Astra seemed upset with you lately?"

My quill paused mid sentence, and I glanced up at James across the library table. I was working on a History of Magic essay, and James was working on Quidditch strategies. Or, at least, he was pretending to. "What do you mean?"

James shrugged. "I don't know. I haven't noticed anything since before she told us about all this seer business. But there was a good week where she was just not talking to you at all."

"Oh." I pursed my lips. "It was just something stupid. Not a big deal. She's over it, now." I started writing again, hoping he would stop. I couldn't exactly say Oh, yeah, she was just upset because I'm not telling you things that would make you angry, you know.

"It seemed like a big deal," James said.

"Astra likes to be dramatic."

"It seemed like more than that."

I sighed and put down my quill. "It wasn't. Really."

James put his hands up, seeming amused. "Okay, okay. You know you can talk to me, right?"

"Of course." I forced a smile, but felt my stomach turn. Did I really believe that?

He didn't seem to notice anything odd. "Did you see Fred at the Ravenclaw/Slytherin match a few days ago?" he asked.

"You pointed him out to everyone," I said, smiling.

James raised an eyebrow. "You know why he was there, right?"

I rolled my eyes. "Let me guess, he was cheering on his secret girlfriend?"

"Exactly!" James grinned. "More proof! He wanted to watch Ciara Malfoy play! Makes sense, honestly; as much as I hate to admit it, she's a very good Seeker."

"Maybe he just has a lot of friends on the Ravenclaw team," I suggested. "Maybe he was there to see Clarissa Rogers or Elias Brown."

"Nope, definitely Ciara Malfoy," James said. "He disappeared for two hours after the match. You know who else I didn't see anywhere? Malfoy."

"Slytherin won, Jamie," I said, trying not to laugh. "She was probably in their common room celebrating."

James shook his head. "That can't be it." He sighed. "I'm going to have to keep the Marauder's Map with me at all times, aren't I? You lot won't believe me unless I prove they're snogging in some classroom."

I started laughing, and after a second James did too. "It's not that I don't want to believe you," I said after a minute. "It just seems so crazy, you have to admit."

"Not when you think about it," he said.

"No offense, but I don't really want to think about Fred and Ciara snogging."

James started laughing again. "Fair enough." He smiled at me. "When do you patrol with her again, by the way?"

"I'm not asking about Fred."

He chuckled. "I'm not asking you to. Just curious."

I raised an eyebrow, and he put his hands up. "Tomorrow night."

"Has she gotten any better?"

I shrugged. "I mean, I don't know. She seems a little less hostile. I think she's realized there isn't anything we can do about it, and she's trying to make the best of it, too."

"That's good. If you ever need me to hex her, though, I definitely will."

I smiled. "Are you saying I can't handle myself?"